Ceiling paint advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've had the plastering done of my new room (ex garage), I sealed it with a watery mix of 5water 1 part PVA. Now just been down DIY store and they're convincing me that this isn't the method nowadays as the formulations of emulsion have changed and I COULD end up with streaky lines through any emulsion I put up, no mater how many coats.
Any thruth in this?
I'm using Crown Trade Matt emulsion diluted for the first coat, then I plan to put up 2 coats of only slightly watered down paint -same stuff.
thx for any advice.
KS

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
I've had the plastering done of my new room (ex garage), I sealed it with a watery mix of 5water 1 part PVA. Now just been down DIY store and they're convincing me that this isn't the method nowadays as the formulations of emulsion have changed and I COULD end up with streaky lines through any emulsion I put up, no mater how many coats.
Any thruth in this?
I'm using Crown Trade Matt emulsion diluted for the first coat, then I plan to put up 2 coats of only slightly watered down paint -same stuff.
thx for any advice.
KS

Oh dear.....

God knows where this idea came from..

For a DIY store sounds like they know what they are talking about..straks will be the smallest problem, the biggest one will be the paint flaking off completely

Your only the right lines diluting the first coat of emulsion..but thats all you needed to do in the first place.

I wouldnt diluted it too much for the first one, the water PVA mix has 'sealed' it slightly already.

It sounds like your planning on putting 3 coats of watered down paint onto the new plaster.. after already putting water and pva on it..

A wash coat is put on new plaster because it is so absorbent and sucks in the first coat of paint that is used on it..

If you put one watered down coat of paint on new plaster that should do it then just paint it as you normally would.

Sponsored Links
thanks all hmm. been working on this project both days over weekend, and ceiling so far looking good. I firstly applied watered down matt emulsion, then applied two caots, looks A1+. If any one interested I'm updating my album in next few days.
KS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back