Ceiling Painting Problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me....my husband and I are trying to paint the ceiling in a property we moved into recently which seemed quite an easy task until enormous bubbles started to show under the paint and then the paint would literally fall off the ceiling in huge chunks. We've tried several different types of paint but still no joy.

Does anyone have any idea what we can use so this doesn't happen or how we can treat the ceiling before applying the paint?

Thanks in advance for any tips :D

Sponsored Links
Hi,

is there a powdery substance under the paint that has peeled off? If so fraid it sounds like distemper. You will need to get rid of all the loose paint. I prefer to strip it all right back, it should all come of easily enough if it is distemper. You will need to wash it with a proprietary product, a dedicated decorating centre like Dulux or Brewers will advise you on the best wash. You will then need to seal it. They will advise you on the best one for you to use as a diyer. Do not use PVA to seal for reasons stated in other threads. Paint with quality Matt leaving plenty of drying time between coats. Have fun!!

Thank you so much for replying....yes there is a powdery substance underneath..we wondered what it was....

Hubbys gonna pop to the DIY store now and grab the things you suggested...thanks for your help, it's much appreciated. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back