Ceiling Painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just recently had my bedroom skimmed with a new coat of plaster, everything looked great until I did the mist coat. On the ceiling used to be artex, this was skimmed over and when I painted a mist coat of watered down white matt emulsion you can see the undelying artex in some places (although you have to stand in the correct light to see it).

Is there any paint you can use to smooth over this? I don't mind if I have to use some filler to smooth this out, just wondering if there's any wonder product out there which already does this.

Sponsored Links
What you are seeing is the shape of the old artex. The plaster would have filled the pattern of the artex and will be deeper in some areas than others. Once you have put your full coats on then this should dissapear.

I agree with Robbie & what you’re seeing is being produced by different absorption rates between the high & low peaks of the Artex (awful stuff!) on the first coat. Run the back of your hand across the ceiling; as long as you can’t actually feel any imperfections it should be fine once you put another couple of coats on.

If not call him back!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back