ceiling plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I want some good joint filler and plaster materials for my new plasterboard ceiling.
-Is it OK to use finishing plaster for just skimming the ceiling after I fix the joints with filler and tape?
-Can you recommend any that you use with confidence on ceilings?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
As Steve said!
And multi finish is the norm, but if you havent skimmed before and are attempting a ceiling wear a hat, goggles, overalls cover all inanimate objects....and keep a plasterers number handy. :mrgreen:

As someone who is preparing to skim his first ceiling, the first number on my list is the Osteopath and then it's the Plasterer; just like in the Yellow Pages. :)

Sponsored Links
A professional is going to help me over the weekend but I had to buy him the materials. Yes, he will use multi finish and jointing tape without filling compound.

Just a last question, I am going to put acoustic mastic in the joints of the plasterboard and around of the perimeter between the wall and the boards. Can I fill the gap in the joints completely to the surface with mastic or will cause problems when when put the jointing tape?

no need for the mastic just let the guy crack on soo to speak and get the ceiling on and finished.
only use mastic if you have use a sound proofing system and dropped ceiling bit belt and braces for privet job.
as for skimming peace of **** are the board tapered edge?
is he using scrim or paper tape?

(scrim joints)tape all joints then fill flush with finish then drop back and scim the lid.
(paper joint tape) half fill joint with finish apply the paper tape then fill flush let if firm up then skim the lid done
more and more firms in london are asking for paper tape and not scrim but just use scrim tape. no messing about.
the one most important thing ill say you will need is safety glasses over all else.plaster in the eye is no joke iv just bought a pair £10 well spent

So my list of numbers is now...

1. Optician
2. Osteopath
3. Plasterer
4. Psychiatrist

Skimming my own ceiling is going to cost a fortune in phone calls alone.
:cry:

Yes I have installed an acoustic system (mineral wool, resilient bars and soundproof plasterboard) so it is important to seal the perimeter and the joints before plastering the ceiling.

I was thinking to fill in the joints with acoustic mastic and then put the scrim tape. Then the plasterer can continue his work, I assume? Or I have to apply mastic the previous day so as to dry?

have you asked British gypsum? or looked at the online white book?
we have only sealed round the edge as theres not ment to be any gaps in the joints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back