Ceiling repair/replaster - spalled concrete in Edwardian flat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to do up my bathroom after some flood damage from the flat above. It is an Edwardian block with masonry walls and concrete ceilings. Electrical wiring is run through round conduit in the ceilings.

There was a section of plaster that slumped after the flood around the rising main. I've just got ready to start what I thought was a plaster patch repair, but now can see that the bottom surface of the concrete has spalled, with the reinforcement bar rusting. I've cut around the sections that were particularly loose and am planning on abrading, using rust converter, then epoxy priming the rebar. My question is:

Should I apply (epoxy modified) concrete first, or can I just use thistle or bonding plaster? Is this even something I should be looking at doing myself? Anyone got any better suggestions?

IMG_8601.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back