Render a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Cyprus and my house is of the typical construction here, built on a concrete slab with concrete pillars, pot-brick infills and a flat concrete roof - pretty basic but we bought it several years ago as a renovation project which could also be lived in as we renovate.

Anyways, not long after we moved here the roof started leaking so I stripped the whole lot back to bare concrete, filled the cracks, screeded and applied protection. No more leaks.

However, some of the render on a couple of the ceilings blew and fell off. I stuck my damp detector in and it gave a rather high pitched squeal. Ok, so the water penetrated a fair bit. I left the damaged ceiling as was to let it dry out and 8 months on the damp detector dishes out a more satisfying couple of low pitch beeps.

My question is, should I re-render and plaster the ceiling or go direct for a false ceiling? I intend to put a false ceiling in at some point in any case (albeit a while down the line) and at around 9ft ceiling height I have the space. I'm not concerned about the looks of the internal at the moment so I can wait if necessary (we're concentrating on sorting out the garden etc before we do the house) My only concern is that some of the rebar is exposed, though I have treated the corrosion.

I'm firmly a DIY'er, not a pro, though I can usually produce decent results, so please be gentle :)

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back