render a concrete ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a concrete ceiling in my outhouse i wanted to know if it is possible to render it as it is in a poor state so that i can plaster it later. thanks

Sponsored Links
i forgot to mention that it is letting water in, would bitumen work

where is the water entering from, you need to stop it getting in, not keep it up there see. Trapped water will cause more damage and it always finds a way out too.

Sponsored Links
it has spread from next doors outhouse both are joined they have had a leak and it has started to come through to mine

it has spread from next doors outhouse both are joined they have had a leak and it has started to come through to mine

As said , try to divert the water first . This is by far the best solution, and really the way to go if possible.

When you say poor state, will it take a render?

If not possible, you can render the ceiling and walls to keep the water out -'Tanking' with waterproof sand and cement. If the ceiling is very wet, it takes a bit of practice, tanking it while hoses keep the water diverted, then removing the hoses and plugging the hole with a rapid set waterproof additive - you can then give it the next tanking coats but better to rub up and not skim .

If it is not too wet ie you can coat it - scud (spritz etc ) , coat, scud, coat will do it, with all internals coved.

You could blackjack , blind it with sharp sand and then render

what do you mean when you say blind it with sharp sand

what do you mean when you say blind it with sharp sand

Brush on the Blackjack Bitumin paint, then blind/throw sharp sand onto it while the bitumin is still wet. The sharp sand will then stick to it. When the bitumin/sand has dried, that will give you a "key/rough surface" to scratch coat/render onto. Make sure you "blind it" evenly overall,,, plus,,the more sand that sticks to the bitumin, the rougher/stronger the key!!

Is that the right way to go :confused: soundS a bit like trying to stop the Titanic sinking from below decks :LOL:

Good point Rich',,, any cement render related work would be "after" the problem with the water ingress was fixed

Is that the right way to go :confused: soundS a bit like trying to stop the Titanic sinking from below decks :LOL:

Believe or not Rich. We used to do that quite a lot in the early 80's when I was doing damp-proofing and preservation work. We used to use "syntapruf" which I think is now called "black-jack,(I think there is a post where we discussed this before).I think it was alistairreid who was into the preservation game aswell.

when i have blinded it evenly and has dried is it ready to render

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back