reboard and skim an old ceiling..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to renovate the bedroom ceiling in my flat. It has a ceiling rose and ornate plaster coving that I want removed, a crack all the way across the middle and paper that is lifting at the joins.

I'm after a really good finish, and having read other threads on the subject think reboarding over the existing ceiling then skimming seems a good approach. What I'm unsure of is that conventional advise suggests screwing new plaster board into the existing joist, however my ceiling doesn't have joists. It's a purpose built block of flats (built 1979) and the only time I drilled the ceiling I went through a layer of plaster straight into concrete.

I'd really appreciate some advise regarding what my options are.

Many thanks,
James

Sponsored Links
i would give it a go at just re skimming.

much depends on how good a person is at skimming on how good a finish can be obtained. i find mine although not as good as my walls once painted are good enough (no one really notices ceilings except for cracks).

overboarding would as you say be a good choice for a timber ceiling as these tend not to be flat due to movement of the timber (shrinkage) over time. but given the concrete it would be a right nightmare attaching the boards.

i would also think about a simple repair as this may be good enough ie caulk the crack and local finish/skim where rose and coving has been removed.

DIY plastering & a “really good finish” are rarely compatible unless you’ve had considerable practice & ceilings are a much harder than walls! Local repair & skim can work but, again, you need to be competent with a trowel to blend in & give an invisible repair. Cracks across the ceiling will be the most difficult to hide without skimming; caulk wont really hide them & it's unlikely to last.

If the existing plaster is basically sound, you’re probable better going for a re-skim as suggested. You must prepare the ceiling first by removing any lining paper & removing any loose material & filling. Get whoever is doing the plastering for you to look at it & advise what they are happy for you to do by way of preparation & so save a little money.

Definitely a skim job. Not difficult with practice but a nightmare for a learner.

Sponsored Links
caulk won’t really hide them & it's unlikely to last.

had pretty much the same impression until i experimented a little.

it certainly won't give anywhere near the same result as skimming.

the technique i use is to dig out the crack a little (saw blade or like) so as to be able to get a decent bead into the crack. then use a flat blade scraper to smooth level. then final finish by hand to blend in using a spray bottle (old window cleaner or the like) of strong diluted washing up liquid (1:5 washing up to water). if it's a big crack you have to build up the caulk in stages as it does shrink a little if applied thickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back