badly done job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after advice on here i had ceilings reboarded rather than just skimmed. plasterer insisted there was no real need to find joists in lat and plaster ceiling. just put screws in wherever. anyway ceiling is still up but skimming is rubbish and he is having another go. is it normal to have a bit of a wobbly join to the wall?

ceiling seems to have pulled past a crew at one point. is this because too much weight on one screw?

kitchen wall has white powdery stuff on the plaster, how do i stop this coming through?

at my whits end with this guy. nice guy but not a good plasterer.

Sponsored Links
so potentionally the only thing holding up the boards are screws through plaster,mmmm good job by the sounds of it?not.

when ever i do reboards/over boards i do my upmost to find all joists and ensure the boards have a good fixing.by banging a nail all round the perimeter of the room and marking the centres.
did he not do this at all?

no. i was holding the boards up for him. he just put screws in. i even crawled into the loft to check for joists but by the time i had pushed things throught the ceiling he had screwed boards up.
i kept saying about the joists and he just said"believe me, i have been doing it 11 years and no ceiling has fell on me yet."
am now worried by him reskimming it will add more weight and pull even more.

in the old days you used nails about 70 of the feeckers now days its screws but not as many but afaik they have all got to be fixed to something.

you wouldnt put up a shelf or cupboard into a wall without plugs.because the screws wont be fixed to anything.so i dont know how he expects a board to screwed into plaster to hold up a sheet of plasterboard.

im sure someone who does this for a living will also comment,see what they say?

Sponsored Links
all boarding or reboards should be screwed into the joist, and with lath&plast extra long screws are needed so that they reach the joist through the plaster this man sounds like a chancer any spread proper spread of 11 years would know how to board a ceiling, the best thing for you to do now is get back up in the loft with a screw driver or drill and mark out the joists then chalkline the ceiling so that you have nice lines over the joists and then get a proper spread in to reskim

Dont pay up until your happy with the job, but realistic your never going to be happy with the job... i wouldnt be!

And NO the ceiling shouldnt bounce at all. Check hes used 12.5mm boards as i'm guessing the prat has opted for 9.5mm to save all of about £5 in total.

Also 11 years experience means nothing if its 11 years of poor workmanship.

Where did you find him, paper, friends, neighbour etc??

Dont pay up until your happy with the job, but realistic your never going to be happy with the job... i wouldnt be!

And NO the ceiling shouldnt bounce at all. Check hes used 12.5mm boards as i'm guessing the prat has opted for 9.5mm to save all of about £5 in total.

he used 12.5 mm boards but the ceiling isnt bouncing just looks wavy where it meets the wall.

he was from that newly advertised company on tv for finding "quality" tradesman!!

he used 12.5 mm boards but the ceiling isnt bouncing just looks wavy where it meets the wall.

he was from that newly advertised company on tv for finding "quality" tradesman!!
the wavy lines are where the boards follow the the old ceiling and is not level, this could have been addressed before skimming by leveling out with bonding and a straight edge, what i would now if i were you, is do as i said b4 sure it up with screws into the joists, but before the reskimming takes place it should be leveled out, any chance of some pictures of how bad it is?

Overboard lath.... tut tut

Taking down the lath also gives you a chance to put the joists right and fix the blackpool beach look at the edge..

Cowboys overboard ;)

thank you all for the comments/advice. looks like i managed to get a plasterer that gives you proper plasterers a bad name.

just shows what a load of tosh that advert for quality tradesman is.

he is coming back which he didnt need to as he has been paid already.

whether its to do job or some sort of refund we will see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back