Ceiling rose - unexpected wiring

it should be OK now. Or am I being complacent ?
No, there was nothing wrong with it, just use of the colours.

Only difference is that the new rose/lamp has no earth wire, so I taped up the bare copper earth wire from the ceiling and left it unconnected.
In a separate piece of connector block would be better.

Sponsored Links
Only difference is that the new rose/lamp has no earth wire, so I taped up the bare copper earth wire from the ceiling and left it unconnected.
Is the new ceiling rose/lamp metal?
Are you sure that the new ceiling rose had nowhere to put the earth?

It's all plastic - a standard pendant set for a bayonet bulb. (One of these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-6-pendant-set-white/15459)

There is an earth terminal in the ceiling rose plate, but no earth wire feeding down to the bayonet mount. Perhaps I should put the earth cable into the earth terminal so it's secured.

Chris

Sponsored Links
You started off wanting to understand why the wiring was not conforming to any of the diagrams. You have been advised how to do it.

Are you saying that you have just (effectively) left it as it was? :rolleyes:

Basically the two reds need to be looped together in an insulating block.

You are then left with two blacks. One is the switched live and that will go on the brown of your new light. The other black is the neutral (goes to blue).

You'll need a test meter to sort out which black is which. And to mark the switched live properly.

It's a while since I saw flex with red and black cores. Pre 1960 at a guess.

Flexible cable colour changes were agreed in 1970 and the changeover to be finalised in April 1971.

Although in practice, it's anybody's guess...

Same with the green sleeving of fixed wiring. Officially disallowed from first day of 1978, but....

You'll need a test meter to sort out which black is which. And to mark the switched live properly.

Or ( with power OFF ) connect the lamp to the red and black from one cable. Turn the power ON. If the lamp lights then that cable is the supply and the other is the cable to the switch.

If the lamp doesn't light then it is most probably connected to the cable to the switdh.

Test both cables to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back