Ceiling Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my room freshly plastered and want to put a ceiling rose up. All instructions mention you have to screw ceiling rose into the joists. Do I have to do it this way? It's a plaster type ceiling rose and would rather bond it to the ceiling somehow as a) I'm lazy and always look for the easiest method of doing things b) I'm not too clear what way the joists run and don't want to make a mess of my newly plastered ceiling. I'm assuming I'll need something stronger than no more nails for this job. Other option would be to buy one of these foam ceiling roses which would be a bit lighter. All suggestions welcome.

Bob

Sponsored Links
The new style foam ones are very good..ive just ordered a load in for the trainees to play around with..once painted you'l never know the difference..they cost a bit more but they are worth the extra IMO..

Fix em with water based no more nails or tile adhesive

Have a look at these

http://www.copleydecor.co.uk/

Another way to fix a heavy plaster centre rose is to seal the back of the rose with a watered down pva (unibond ect) because this is a very porous surface, use about 1 part pva-4 parts water and let this dry completely, this will take out the porousness of the rose, thus helping the adhesive from drying too quickly, which would prevent the adhesive from gripping the rose as it dries!
also if the ceiling is porous and a matt finish give this a coat of sealer as well,
now if you have a long batten that will reach from the floor to the ceiling, or some other set up like this it is possible by using either mixed texture powder or plaster/wall board adhesive, this must be of a thick consistency that does not run off your scraper as you pick it up, but not as stiff as you can't spread it.
Drill gently through the centre of the rose so that it doesn't crack, making sure that you can get the wires through

Check that the electricity is off

butter the base of the rose thickly so that when you offer it to the ceiling, gently apply pressure by twisting it onto the surface, this should make the excess adhesive squish from the edges, then set the wooden batten beneath it to hold into place, 8-24 hours if possible
fill around the edges with the excess adhesive and wash with a paintbrush or sponge
but check that the ceiling to take the rose has no distemper/limewash, flaky paint ect as this will need to be cured first of all
I hope that this helps
Regards
Dale

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back