Ceiling or coving first question ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

If anyone could please give me some advice on what order to paint my ceiling and coving I would be very grateful.

I am wanting to paint the ceiling the same colour as the walls (grey) but am unsure what order to do the ceiling and the egg and dart roses and coving that is fitted .

Is it better to do the coving and ceiling roses (2) first (in white) then cut in the ceiling and walls to them or vice versa.

I only ask as I have over 60' of coving and I usually do the ceiling, trim etc. before the walls.

Many thanks in advance for any advice given

Glenn

Sponsored Links
It very much depends on how good you are at it. If you're rollering the ceilings, it's not uncommon to go over the coving, and then have to touch it up, so ceiling first, and coving second. But it's not so easy to paint the underside of the coving, so you might find it best to to do the walls last.

Sponsored Links
Erm... going against the flow here, but..

I would do the roses first, then the cornices and then the walls/ceilings.

I find it easier to cut in the ceiling than trying to cut in the narrow edge of a cornice which has, in all probability, been forced to follow a ceiling that is not perfectly flat.

Thanks Guys for all your excellent advice.

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Many thanks

Glenn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back