Ceiling, coving, wall painting order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope someone will be able to help me with the following.

I wish to emulsion paint my walls and ceilings in a light grey, but want to paint my ornate plaster coving, dado and ceiling roses in pbw. Can anyone please advise what is the best order of painting the different areas.

My concern is the coving dado rails and ceiling roses are very ornate, and a very time consuming to paint.

All parts are previously painted in matt emulsion.

Thanks in advance for any help given

Glenn

Sponsored Links
You could possibly consider hiring an airless paint sprayer to speed up painting the intricate areas?
It would give a nice even coat to the grey as well, that can often show up imperfections.

As someone who always tends to splatter or splash (a few) small droplets when painting, I always start at highest paint work first and work my way down so I can paint over any earlier created drips.
So for me ceiling and coving in white, coving detail next, walls and then skirting.

Sponsored Links
I'd personally do the coving in the white first as well as the ceiling rose. I'd then cut the ceiling and rose in with the grey and roller it in.
The dado you have a choice but I prefer to emulsion the walls above first and then paint the coving after in the white. Go slightly onto the dado edge with the grey giving you a nice edge to cut into when doing the white. You can then either do the dado and then the bottom emulsion or do the bottom emulsion before the dado. Dado first would be easiest as you can go onto the bellow wall to save cutting in the bottom edge.
Obviously the above advice is for an emulsioned dado and not gloss. If gloss try not to get any on the wall surface!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back