Painting ornate coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've moved into a new house which has ornate coving in some rooms. I'm planning to repaint, but what advice to folks have for avoid pooling/dripping etc. from all the fiddly bits of the coving?

I'm planning to use matt emulsion - haven't selected colour yet, but probably white or maybe a light cream. I'm open to all brand/paint type suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Get a decent brand..not thin stuff.

Dont overload the brush

Try and paint at right angles to the shape of the pattern on the cornice

Use a dry brush after you have completed about a metre in a 'stabbing' motion to pick up any runs.

Sponsored Links
what Zampa said is great advice :) i'd also like to tell you not to fall for paying more money for "none drip" paint. If you follow Zampa's advice you wont need it. Also, have what i call a "poo cloth" handy. a damp cloth (possibly with paint thinner mixed in) and if you slip with the brush, get it straight away.

and obviously, cover all furnature and floor etc with a decorating blanket (or just an old bed sheet will do). accidents can happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back