Ceiling skimmed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have just had our kitchen ceiling skimmed by a plasterer - after he finished he said that it is probably going to crack because one of the boards was loose. I said then why didn't you say anything and he said because he didn't realize until after he had started... - surely he should have check the boards before he skimmed? Advice please

Sponsored Links
did you get a written quote? does the company have terms and conditions? did they put tape over the existing cracks before skimming?

no written quote - and yes - it was taped by him before he skimmed.

Sponsored Links
An absolute cowboy job. Certainly not a "real plasterer". If you notice something is not right, even after the job has been started, it should still be corrected. I wouldn't even let the person who did your job, clean my hawk!!

so do I pay him? or ask him to come back?
I think under consumer law you have to give him the chance to put it right. If he won't, then personally I'd get someone else in and deduct the cost of that from what I paid the first chap. You have my sympathy; it's always stressful getting into disputes with tradesmen.

Cheers
Richard

Who did the boarding? It's them that you should be getting back.

If the plasterer is invited to plaster a substandard ceiling then he has every right to charge to repair it prior to plastering. The odds are that if it has been taped it will be fine. If not then he can come back and charge for a repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back