How can I tell if artex has been skimmed over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just that really. I have lath and plaster ceilings in my house and one ceiling is starting to crack in places. The house was bought off an investor and re plastered throughout. I phoned him and asked him if there had previously been artexed ceilings (wanting to be informed in case the ceiling ever fails or needs taking down) but he said he couldn't remember (it was two years ago that he did up the property). After texting him again to let me know if he does recall anything he then replied to say that he'd had a chat with his wife and there "probably" was artexed ceilings that they skimmed over.

I called an asbestos company with a view to getting tests done but when they came round they were reluctant to damage the ceiling (the house is nice and finished throughout). They looked in the light fitting and said 'conclusively' that there was no artex there. A letter was also written by the company to confirm this. However the wording of the letter says "there is clearly not another ceiling hiding an artexed ceiling". This lead me to believe that he'd checked for a boarded over ceiling rather than just a skimmed over ceiling. I asked him to clarify and his reply was that it would have been very obvious as soon as we had removed the light fitting if there had been "another ceiling there". Again it sounds like he's taking about over boarding so when I emailed back to ask specifically about skimming he said that he couldn't comment any further.

As far as you are aware would an artexed ceiling concealed by a skim layer be obvious from a light fitting? I just don't see how a true cross section of the ceiling could be viewed as different layers would be over lapped? We obviously need to be prepared in case we need to work on the ceiling or it fails before we have a chance to!

Sponsored Links
Stop whittling and get on with your life. The odds are that you will be long dead by the time the ceiling comes down and it's completely safe as it is.

Stop whittling and get on with your life. The odds are that you will be long dead by the time the ceiling comes down and it's completely safe as it is.
Good Words from a wise man!! Who will take full responsibility if it falls down around your heads:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back