Ceiling Sound Insulation

Autonomous said:
It's very common for a flat lease to contain a clause specifically prohibiting bare floorboards. If so, a letter to the freeholder (+/- the leaseholder above) might be a cheaper option than industrial noise insulation measures...

Just a thought.

another thought: check you contents insurance to see if you're eligible for legal advice/help. Might be of help when/if you're going to 'ask' neighbours to reduce the noise level ;)

Sponsored Links
just a thought too, are the flats bought or local government owned?? if you have noisy neighbors the council can give out noise abatement orders, also if the flat is bought you may get help from your local government for home inprovements as my local council offers minimum 50% towards housing improvements even if you own the house or flat

Hi, sorry to bump this post. I have an almost identical problem with almost identically insensitive neighbours above me.

We are in purpose built apartments with concrete ceilings, but the sound travel is awful. Obviously I am working on a solution where they take more care, however I still need to do something to dampen the sound.

My question is - will those polystyrene ceiling tiles have at least a small positive effect by absorbing some of the sound travel? I appreciate a lot of money needs to be thrown at it to have the best effect, but for those who can't throw that amount, will they be the next best thing?

I ask as I used to have them in the kitchen until a refurb, and the difference in sound travel since absorbing them 'seems' very noticable. I'd be interested in inbiased experience of the standard polystyrene tiles (such as those in Homebase/B&Q).

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back