Between-floor fire-resistant/-proof sound insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm living in a 2.5 storey townhouse and my bedroom is in the loft essentially. The sound insulation (I'm the middle of three houses sadly so side to side noise pollution is horrific from one of my neighbours but that's a whole 'nother thread!!). But the insulation of sound between floors is also appalling.

I have the hearing of a bat so the smallest sound keeps me awake or wakes me up.

Not only that but being on the top floor means that I'm slightly more at risk in terms of possibly being unable to make my escape should the house become engulfed in flames which I think is an area of weakness if I'm honest.

So I've seen blown sound insulation which I think is fireproof and looks rather fab but I'm guessing probably really expensive??

Things seem to be coming on in leaps and bounds with DIY versions of certain things or more innovative solutions so I wondered if there was a DIY way of achieving both the sound insulation and the fire stopping??? It sounds like the blown insulation might be 'better' than the various boards/blocks of insulation (or is that an incorrect assumption from me??) so I'd like to explore that.

I also wondered, would it be sensible to spray something on to what would be the joists and upper surface of the plasterboard ceiling below that would be some kind of fire-retardant spray????

All advice greatly received, thank you! The room is 26 ft max x 13ft max. (Probably a quarter of that total sq footage is not really there because it's the little bit of landing outside my bedroom door plus there's an ensuite that takes up some of that).

I'm thinking of doing this because the floorboards (well, chipboard) are so badly put down there's now ridges and bumps in the (rubbish, cheap) carpet that was put down on top so I could possibly take this opportunity to sort the floorboards out, do the sound and fire proofing, and possibly also replace the carpet as well (I'm looking to sell a kidney so if anyone's in need, let me know!!).

Sponsored Links
You could take up a few floor panels and install loose lay insulation (insulation is generally fireproof ) you home has to comply with regulations around fire so should not be a concern . For peace of mind you could always install an emergency escape ladder by an upper window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back