sound and fire proofing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all,

well after about a year or so away from doynot i'm back :cool: .

we're about to put an offer in on our 3rd property in need of work (no, we've sold the others - onward and upwards Etc)

anyway this one is in rural scotland and is a bit strange as in it's a semi detached period property.... but one of the bedrooms is above the living room of the ajoining property!?!?!, so there's no full wall between the two properties - what we were thinking of doing is taking up the floor boards in the room and filling the void with loft insulation to dampen sounds and more importantly to help stop/give us more time if there's a fire next door.

anyone got any opions or suggestions on this (i've no experience of this kind of thing at all...)

cheers

kMod

Sponsored Links
Use 4" rockwool on chicken wire. Over (or under) board the floor boards with ply or hardboard to eliminate gaps. Put down a thick underlay before carpeting for extra sound insulation.

if the joists are fairly straight, you can lay extra plasterboard between them on battens fixed half way up the side of the joists. This helps cut down noise as well as fire. Use mineral wool bats as well.

It might be possible to seal the plasterboard using those fire-resistant expanding foams used for fixing doorframes. Sealing gaps improves performance.

Sponsored Links
thanks johnD - that's a real good idea (re: plasterboard):cool:

unfortunatly the way the scotish system works meant that we didn't get the property - we put an offer in @ over 60% of the asking price and thought we'd def. get it - nope!! someone went in at over 80% of the asking price - can't compete against that kind to ££s :cry: - still i'll remember these ideas for future :D

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back