Insulate / sound proof between floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have a new build property and as usual there is no insulation / sound proofing between the bedroom floors and the rooms below.
When our kids are in their rooms you'd think they where coming through the ceiling!
Is there any product on the market that can be injected into the void to fill as though it had glass wool in there. The floors are chip board panels, tongue and grooved so taking up is not an option.
I had the idea that you could drill a hole between each of the joists, spray into and hey presto!
Any ideas / thoughts / trades people who can assist i'd be most grateful. We are in Scotland and our carpets are being lifted next weekend to allow the builder to screw down the squeeky floorboards having let the joists get soaking during the winter build. Manor Kingdom, you'd think they knew better!!

Sponsored Links
Chipboard noooo. :evil: Rubbish stuff.

Even if you were to fill the void, noise from impact from above will still travel through the joist just the same.

All that quilt insulation does is help deaden low volume sounds such as regular conversation or moderate t.v. sounds.

I'm sure cavity wall people could fill the void but would you want it in there, and how good would it be? Don't expect too much.

A resiliant layer and a layer or 22mm ply is the way to go to reduce (a bit anyway well maybe) the impact noises.

Sponsored Links
fibreboard for below laminate flooring is very good for sound insulation

two of the upstairs bedrooms have laminate 1 has very thin polystyrene and when a matchbox type car is dropped it sounds as though someone has just dived from the top of a wardrobe , the other room recently done with the fibreboard underlay , is on the other hand virtually silent even when something is dropped on it

and the flooring below is 18mm chipboard sheeting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back