Ceiling Switch for Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new shower fitted over our bath 12 months ago. The ceiling pull cord switch is also in the shower area over the bath. We have had just had a switch failure, which on investigation shows melting on one of the cables. The cable is 10mm.

1. Should the switch be in this location, or elsewhere, say near the door?
2. If the location is OK, should simply replacing the switch be OK, as long as it is the right rating? I have read that melting is often simply due to poor connections.
3. If I want to move the switch, rather than rewire the shower unit itself, to give me sufficient cable length, can I join the cable at a junction box and if so, what rating should I use? Will a 30 amp box be OK or should I use a cooker connection type?

Any advice gratefully received - Thanks.

Sponsored Links
the switch shpuld not be in the shower, yes you should relocate and change switch, 30A anything is too small, why not see if there is any slack, if not rewire from switch to shower will be better

Thought our bathroom fitter was a bit a rogue (to say the least!)

There's not enough slack in the cable to move the switch the necessary distance 2m and rewiring the shower would be very disruptive (although obviously possible).

I realise rewiring would be the best option, but would joining the cable using a cooker rated junction block be acceptable?

you should use henly blocks for something of that size, by the time you get them, and connect them, you will find out rewiring is easier

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
you should use henly blocks for something of that size, by the time you get them, and connect them, you will find out rewiring is easier

You advise people to use "henly blocks" to join T&E, can you explain how?

crystal ball said:
breezer said:

You advise people to use "henly blocks" to join T&E, can you explain how?

Inside an adaptable box, shouldn't try and use it on cables below 10mm² though. TLC do a 60A junction box, which would probably be a better solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back