Ceiling Void Access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my first post...

I'm a spark but looking for some advice on ceiling hatches.

I live in a 1 Bed flat, I recently looked into installing a ducted extract to our poorly vented bathroom.(No window to bathroom)

Thinking that we had no or little space above our ceiling I was preparing myself for puting up some unsightly flat surface ducting through our home to duct to external. I decided to have a look above the ceiling on the off chance that there was a big enough void to run a duct above. I was surprised to find a massive 620mm void which spans throughout the flat, with the only partition above the ceiling seems to be the bathroom area.

So i'll be sorted for my duct, but it got me thinking about using my newly found dead space for extra storage in our already cluttered flat.

Would it be a simple case of installing one of these Plasterboard hatches, I was hoping to use a 600x600, or is there other things to think of?
Such as Fire ratings? Are we actually allowed to use the space? etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

:D

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming the ceiling has been lowered at some point, i dont think it would have been designed for carrying any weight other than the plasterboard/plaster.
though if you consider the structure to be strong enough to use as storage i cant think of any reason why not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back