Ceiling Void Air Brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently renovating an outhouse 8M2 with a flat concrete roof covered with roofing felt. I've constructed a timber stud ceiling approx 6" below the internal roof height. This is made from 2x3 CLS studs at 400mm centres, with noggins between each. This will be covered with plasterboard screwed to the stud ceiling.

I am considering an air brick in the external wall to allow air flow and egress of any damp air due to condensation in the ceiling void. Do you think this is necessary or overkill?

Regards

Sponsored Links
It wouldn't do any harm, though ideally you would need some cross-ventilation for it to be really effective.

But why not just consider a polythene vapour barrier before fitting the plasterboard, or maybe one of the proprietory insulated
plasterboards which have an integral vapour barrier?

Thanks for your reply tony1851. There's actually an external wall at either end of the room, and ideally I'd like to put an air brick in both walls, but the back external wall has a piece of timber attached to the outside with guttering attached to that, so I'd have to remove the whole lot to get at the brickwork...

I was thinking about using something like thermawrap before putting the plasterboard up, but 'the boss' wants 8 downlights installed; breaking the vapour barrier... Nowt's ever simple lol...

So now I'm undecided whether one air brick will do the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back