Ceilings in house

Reaction score
So just purchased my first home from family so getting it cheaper there is some work that needs to be done. All the room ceilings seem to be board with a plaster coat over them. What is my best way I fix. Scrape it all down to the boar under neath and redo or patch. Or can I just thrown dry wall over it

Attachments

• iOS Image - 992426276.jpg
    iOS Image - 992426276.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 181
  • iOS Image - 1495959189.jpg
    iOS Image - 1495959189.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 176
Sponsored Links
Personally I'd pull it down and start again, if there are a lot of cracks, but if you can't stand the mess, just overboard it (plasterboard), and reskim.

Find where the joists are and use a chalk line to mark one the ceiling along their length, then when you offer up the new boards, you won't bit screwing in screws in the wrong place.

If you don't mind doing jointing, you can use taper edge plasterboards, and fill the joint, rather than skim.

If you have a steamer, then you can scrape off the old paper (but don't hold the steamer too long in one place in case it cracks the plaster) and then repaper the ceiling, or apply a textured product to cover the cracks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back