Prepare plastered room for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just had the whole kitchen plastered by a novice (4day course) he has done a good job but there are a few imperfections. I have sanded all walls and ceilings with 120 grit sand paper and am going to do a mist coat? How long do I leave to dry between coats? Do I sand between coats if I see dodgy bits? The room was a bomb site due to patched up board walls left by previous owner. The guy wanted the practice and it only cost me the materials.

Sponsored Links
Specs75, Hi.

Several things to try

1/. Using a VERY strong light used parallel to the surface and you will soon see shall we use your terminology imperfections that will probably show up that you may wish to do further sanding on? [Hope you are using a pole sander??] it is a load easier, no machines they dig holes. As for the very bright light, think about it as the Sun shining down a wall, I am sure you have seen it the sun shine reveals all!!!

2/. Apply a 10% watered down Emulsion, this will probably show up more Imperfections?? Refer to 1/. above? leaving the coat to dry overnight should give you an indication on the state of the wall?

3/. Once you have achieved what you think is acceptable, your call, using the above? then how about using lining paper? using the thick version this lining will in effect further smooth out the hopefully by now small imperfections, lets get this into context, the imperfections you will see even before stage 1/. above can probably be measured in thousands of a part of a millimeter??

Hope the above is worthy of some consideration? as was your decision to allow a comparative novice to undertake work in your Home

Please let us know how it goes?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your advice. The place was in a state of disrepair and my pal was so keen to do it and wanted the practice i couldn't say no. I'm all for getting the pro's in but live in Argyll where there are only two plasterers with a waiting list of two months on a job. Average charge is £200 a ceiling and £100 per wall. The guy did the job to a really good standard. Was up until 4 am with him one night so he could give it a final polish. Used thistle multi bond all round. There are a few marks and scrapes and the odd wee indentation but as you say they are prob 1000th of a MM. Will take the advice re mist coat and only use 10% water as I have seen this vary from 80/20 to 50/50. Got a marshalltown pole sander from a friend and used that mainly and me wee mouse sander on really big bits. My worry was before painting doing him a dis service by not finishing it properly!

Cheers

Damian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back