HELP! bubbly, pealy paint, where did I go wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. One month ago my whole living room and hall was skimmed... I let it dry thoroughly and applied a mist coat od BnQ Brightwhite MATT paint and BnQ value MATT (when Brightwhite ran out)with about 4 to one paint to water. This was allowed to dry and then given a light sand to show any imperfections. Wiped down with a damp cloth to remove dust, then mist coated again with 5 to 1 MATT white as before...

This was given a light sand when dry, wiped down with a damp cloth to remove dust, and I then started on the top coat. Dulux Rich Matt was used. Its gone on well in places but other places as I rolled it on it pealed and blistered the previous coats back to bare plaster in a couple of places. (First coat hasn't taken?)

Today I decided to light sand these patches and mist coat again.... This just created more blistering... So I use a window scraper to remove the pealy bits and the paints coming off really easy...

Why why why why why?????

I'll add that every coat went on with a roller and cut in with a brush....

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you did everything ok...Rich Matt might have bene your problem judging by previous posts on here.

Sounds like you did everything ok...Rich Matt might have bene your problem judging by previous posts on here.

It really annoys me!!! Ive done soooo much reasearch on here, and take all the advice off all the proffesionals on the forumns and something like this happens to ruin such a good job... I'm a perfectionist and really need someones help... Do I scrape it all off and start again or just try and make good the bad areas???

I thought all Dulux Matts were "rich matt"? Wanted matt rather than Silk... What does "Rich matt do"???

Cheers...

Perfectionism is a mental health problem. Life's too short. Are you sure you let it dry fully? Pale pink?

Sponsored Links
Perfectionism is a mental health problem. Life's too short. Are you sure you let it dry fully? Pale pink?

I know... Tell me about it!!! Jobs take four times as long!!!

Defo dry... Only a skim! Just reading other posts about Rich Matt by Dulux and fearing the worst Although ive previously used it in my bedrooms and landing stairs with no bubbling...

Right ive read pretty much all the posts I can on Rich Matt by Dulux being a right B1TCH to use. Unfortunatly i'm one of many that thought matt was matt and that I could ignore the "Use plaster sealer..." instructions on the tin!

My question is.... Do I scrap it all off or just patch up the areas that look bad?

When you did the original mist coat and let it dry, was there any shiny patches in the are'a where the paint has failed? Possible ovrtrowling by plasterer?

When you first noticed the paint was bubbling, did you keep going over it while it was still wet? What was the bubbling like? large or tiny goosepimply?

Sometime bubbles form and will dissapear when fully dry (suction etc etc)

Try to just sand down the failed area's. Do they feel really smooth/shiny too smooth for paint to soak in? if so might be as well to touch in these areas with a primer sealer (or oil based undercoat thinned) then paint the whole wall and if bubbles appear try leaving the bubbles alone till whole lot is dry at least four hours... If little dimples are left just lightly rub down the dimples just so dimples dissapear dont put your weight behind it. then paint again...
Good luck..
hope this helps...

When you did the original mist coat and let it dry, was there any shiny patches in the are'a where the paint has failed?
Didnt notice any shiny patches where the paint had failed, although I do seam to remember when rolling on the paint did not take easily in some places and I brushed out the mist coat onto these patches, didnt really think about it at the time...

Possible ovrtrowling by plasterer?
Maybe... but its a smallish area on four seperate walls and a ceiling. Not whole walls...

When you first noticed the paint was bubbling, did you keep going over it while it was still wet?
I tried not to go over it but in two places the paint just pealed straight off wrapping around the roller leaving two or three 2" patches where the paints missing
down to bare plaster... In the other places it bubbled a minute or so after rolling. Two were bad a split and cracked (size of 5p) and one I left which did go down and disappear...

What was the bubbling like? large or tiny goosepimply?
As above different in different areas...

Sometime bubbles form and will dissapear when fully dry (suction etc etc)
As above different in different areas...

Try to just sand down the failed area's. Do they feel really smooth/shiny too smooth for paint to soak in?
On the worst wall I decided to scrape back to find none flaky/peely paint but it seamed like it scraped off too easy. Should paint come off this easy with a window scraper blade? I ended up removing the paint from the whole section of wall (1.5m by 2.4m) and i'll try something else here... Does look like the first coat never soaked in...

if so might be as well to touch in these areas with a primer sealer (or oil based undercoat thinned) then paint the whole wall and if bubbles appear try leaving the bubbles alone till whole lot is dry at least four hours... If little dimples are left just lightly rub down the dimples just so dimples dissapear dont put your weight behind it. then paint again...
In the other areas I can try this (its wierd that its just a small patch one on each of the walls) If and when I have "lightly" sanded the dimples its down to bare plaster again so presumably I need to prime again with this "RICH MATT" paint not taking a liking to plaster???

Thanks again you've been a great help...

You're blaming the Rich matt as the problem over the plaster, but you say that you didn't put Rich matt on the plaster first, so Rich matt is not you're problem. If it was coming off over what you're painting, that would be a prob.

Joe 90 and confident have summed up your problems well.

Dulux Rich matt is not the problem here, because you're original first coats have not stuck.

You also used crap first...then second and then blame Dulux for it.

Plaster sealer should have been first used when the plaster was

dry and only when the plaster was dry.

Perfectionism is a mental health problem.

Good quote! Can't help wondering why a perfectionist would use cheap crap first. Money perhaps :idea:

You're blaming the Rich matt as the problem over the plaster, but you say that you didn't put Rich matt on the plaster first, so Rich matt is not you're problem. If it was coming off over what you're painting, that would be a prob.

Joe 90 and confident have summed up your problems well.

Dulux Rich matt is not the problem here, because you're original first coats have not stuck.

You also used rubbish first...then second and then blame Dulux for it.

Plaster sealer should have been first used when the plaster was

dry and only when the plaster was dry.

Perfectionism is a mental health problem.

Good quote! Can't help wondering why a perfectionist would use cheap rubbish first. Money perhaps :idea:

I only thought may have been a problem because maybe some areas weren't covered fully. (when I sanded between quotes places may have gone down to bare plaster - second mistake)

First mistake was not down to money (Its not a mansion so on the grand scheme of things nob all difference) it was down to "Lack of Knowledge" Thats why i'm on here trying to learn...

My mistake was thinking "use trade matt" was like "use any cheap matt" which i'm fast learning is two different things. And watching other posts which say "Dont buy that expensive plaster sealer its just watered down matt..." I tried to do what I thought was right but... there you go...

Oh and the plaster was dry...

Perfectionists need to learn as well!!!

You see you've previously used Rich Matt in your bedrooms and landing stairs with no bubbling. So...... the bubbling is underneath the Rich matt on this occasion because it's been incorrectly applied (go back to confidents post).

And...... I've known many people say and think that what they've painted has been dry and it hasn't. Damp meter is the way forward. It's surprising what's not dry, however I'm not saying that this is the case but it could be.

I know lots of perfectionists as well....... they talk a good job but, very few make a good job.

Plaster sealer if dry/powdery......Johnstone's/Leyland/Dulux Trade Contracts if damp but don't go over with rich matt or anything else vinyl till dry.

Incidentally... Fair play to Third_Eye for originally pointing out that Dulux rich matt wasn't to be used for misting plaster without first using plaster sealer. Matey's done it though with no probs but I wouldn't dare risk it now.

I dont know why but this thread seems to have a lot in common with me.

Recently we took over some office space but were faced with having to re-paint the walls again because strangely enough even after only a year the paint on the newish walls peeled off so easily

When we tried sanding it would peal further so i tried a scraper to remove as much loose as possible. I was suprised with the ease at whic hte paint would simply strip off. Even easier than wallpaper.

Nevertheless, the guys in charge of the building were being a right pain in the back side saying we had to use the same paint that was originally used on the walls. Guess what, it was some cheapy B&Q jobby stuff.

Likewise I think the issue with your problem is also the initial mist coat with the bandq stuff

Ironically i myself am a "perfectionist" and sadly I always get frustrated people after me as I take so long on the simplest things. In my case however I do get the compliments but that is after I have upset certain people :D

Good thing is I own a design company where perfection matters otherwise I would be out of business as a decorator lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back