Paint peeling like wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell my why my paint is peeling off like rubber/wallpaper? If the wall gets knocked the paint starts to peel and ends up coming off the wall in sheets.
We had 2 rooms replastered early this year.
Waiting about 3 weeks until plaster was dry and mist coat with leyland contract Matt. About 70% paint 30% water
Then did another 2 coats on top with Dulux silk. Each coat was left to dry for about 3 days to dry and then I did a light sand and wiped down to get rid of any dust and left for another day before painting the next coat.
Does anyone know where I've gone wrong? We've got a lot more decorating to do and I don't want to do any more and end up with a house full of peeling paint

Sponsored Links
I don't think you did anything wrong per se, just circumstances went against you!
There isn't any harm in doing two mist coats of a weaker mix, say 60/40?
Also, some plasterers have been known to do too good a job. If they've left a beautifully flat, smooth and polished wall - paint won't stick as well to a mirror! :)

Also, some plasterers have been known to do too good a job. If they've left a beautifully flat, smooth and polished wall - paint won't stick as well to a mirror! :)
I thought this could have been it so when we did the second room I sanded before the mist. And so far we've only had a bit of peeling which was my own fault for sloppy wallpapering!

This happened to me. Skimmed the room walls, left weeks to dry, then mist coat, then base coat then two coats of emulsion. It would peel and flake when knocked. The only thing I could put it down to was that we had the paint mixed in Homebase, and it was crap.

I was dreading redecorating as I thought some would come off and some would stay on, leaving me a nightmare to prep, but it all came off with a scraper just like wallpaper, in fact better than wall paper as no water was needed!

Sponsored Links
Was it fine after your redecorated? Or did you have the same problem again?

only thing I can think is we've put the paint on too thick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back