Painting a new plastered ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've recenly had my kitchen ceiling skim plastered and will soon need to paint it with a roller.

I was planning to put on 2 mist coats of 50:50 watered down emulsion, followed by a couple of top coats.

The ceiling seems really smooth, but when should I sand out any minor imperfection, is this done between the top coats?

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sand before primer.
Trade paints can be used to prime plaster followed by thicker coats. Read the data sheet online for the paint or back of paint can for guide.
Retail paints are different to trade paints with thixotropic agent and are not advised for priming plaster.

Some durable emulsions are smoother when dry and need a surface which won't suck the moisture from them. They need time to hang wet and level.
That is why some paints need a primer over plaster.

So depends on what your going to use to paint surface.
I use acyclic primer over plaster. Can sand that plus it seals a bit.

Hello

I've recenly had my kitchen ceiling skim plastered and will soon need to paint it with a roller.

I was planning to put on 2 mist coats of 50:50 watered down emulsion, followed by a couple of top coats.

The ceiling seems really smooth, but when should I sand out any minor imperfection, is this done between the top coats?

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Why a 50/50 mix?

And why 2 mist coats?

I am not aware of any paint manufacturer that recommends 50/50.

Water based paints cure through a process called coalescence. As the water evaporates off, the molecules shrink down and bond together. Emulsion is typically thinned because the porosity of plaster means that the water is sucked in to the plaster rather than evaporating off. By thinning the paint some of the moisture will be sucked in but the rest can evaporate off.

If you over thin the paint, the paint will not have an opportunity to coalesce properly. You will additionally end up with a lot of paint splatter.

Ignore the advice on youTube/etc and follow the instructions on the tin of paint. The manufacturer knows more about their product than some plasterer on social media.

For the record, as a decorator, I do not know know any professional decorators that would use a 50/50 mix.

One mist coat should suffice but it needs to be "solid" enough to be able to see where you need to sand. You should only need to use the same diluted mix to touch in where sanded or filled.

As @Wayners said, you are better off sanding first before applying any paint, but yeah, with ceilings it is more awkward. I can see why you want to mist first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back