Celcon block garage build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to build one and wanted to run some ideas past you folks as a sanity check!

Foundations: Slab 45cm below ground, 35cm wide, so 12.5cm either side of blocks. Good soil and the garage will have a light flat roof

Blocks: Celcon lightweight blocks (440x215x100mm). Will be a rendered and painted finish eventually

Walls: 6m long, 4.5m wide, 2.3m high. Single block with piers at front by door opening and half way along 6m sides.

One question - with the piers (which will be 10cm wide), do I need to mkae the foundations larger at these points to spread the load or wont this matter?

Sponsored Links
I'm going to build one and wanted to run some ideas past you folks as a sanity check!

Foundations: Slab 45cm below ground, 35cm wide, so 12.5cm either side of blocks. Good soil and the garage will have a light flat roof

Blocks: Celcon lightweight blocks (440x215x100mm). Will be a rendered and painted finish eventually

Walls: 6m long, 4.5m wide, 2.3m high. Single block with piers at front by door opening and half way along 6m sides.

One question - with the piers (which will be 10cm wide), do I need to mkae the foundations larger at these points to spread the load or wont this matter?

On the old adage of no news is good news, this presumably all looks sane :)

You'd be better going for 100 or 140mm concrete blocks, more solid and much easier to render. Foundation should project by minimum of 150mm either side, and that includes around piers and projections, so yes to your question.

Ideally you should stick a pier centre of the 4.5m span too. You'd also be better off digging down to 700mm as the bottom of your foundation, which should be 225mm thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back