Garden shed, single skin Celcon blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to build a potting shed in the garden, with a lightweight lean-to greenhouse on the side. The shed itself will be about 2.4m square, with a 1m wide door-way opening at the front, 1m wide window on the left side and 1m wide door way on the right side that will lead into the lean-to greenhouse. All the openings will be centred on their respective walls.

The first 2-3ft will be single-skin brickwork, then the remaining height of the walls will be single skin Celcon blocks, with tile hanging. The roof will be cut and pitched with concrete tiles. Eaves height is around 2m and ridge height 2.5m.

Questions I have are:
Will single skin be strong enough, especiallly the Celcon blocks?
Do I need any piers anywhere?
Should I return the brickwork at the door frames to strengthen the openings?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I wouldve thought it would be strong enough as a single skin, not sure about piers -Im sure a builder or brickie will know

I would say a nice chunky wall plate all round and strapped -if the door frame is chunky and connected to the wall plate it will increase strength against door slamming causing stress to the wall

as it is a single skin I would suggest breathable membrane then putting up vertical battens, before the tile battens -creating a cavity and keeping damp from the block walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back