Retaining wall- single or double skin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a 5m retaining wall up to a height of 1m.

I currently have enough reclaimed bricks (approx 1/3 engineering and 2/3 house bricks) to build a singe skin wall up to this height, but I can't find any clear information on whether this is safe or not. I was planning to put in supporting piers every 1.25m or so.

The wall will have flower beds above and below so nobody will be walking near or leaning on it.

Obviously if there is any chance this isn't safe then I'll build a double skin wall, but if I can use half the bricks and half the work that would clearly be preferable.

I'm aware that there are definitely single skin walls that are built to this height, but that isn't an indication that they're safe!

This is my first attempt at bricklaying, although I'll be working with a friend who knows the ropes, so any advice would be welcome!

Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that link is really helpful! It appears that a double skin is what's needed.

I guess my next question is whether it needs to be designed as a fully retaining wall: We've dug out the side of a shallow, but long slope in the garden. There's 600mm of untouched earth than formed the original slope (300mm of this is clay, and 300mm is stony soil), and then the top 300mm is loose earth that has made up the height.

Definately unsafe to build a single skin retaining wall that height. I would go for perhaps block on the flat (9'') as the backing and then a small 50mm cavity and your brick wall tied in to the block work with wall ties as the facing. This will help keep the brickwork clean as brick retaining walls have a habit of seeping for years with efflourescense

Sponsored Links
Yeah, this was my thinking - I think your comment about efflourescense seals the deal: I've had to redecorate our hallway 3 years in a row dealing with the stuff!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back