Celing above shower flaking/cracking up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a small crack in my ceiling above the shower, so i filled it and painted over with emulsion. A few days later it started cracking up and is now 10 times worse than when I touched it.

Could someone please tell me the best process to stop this paint flaking once and for all, I know I should be removing all the loose paint, filling and then sanding but what kind of paint should I be putting on first.

I recently brought a tin of International Stain Block (Oil based) which matches my ceiling white very well, would it be reccomended to use this.

Thanks,

Peter.

Sponsored Links
above the shower, you say?

Tell us what sort of ventilation you use.

There is a fan right next to the shower and I rarely have the door closed as it is an en suite.

Sponsored Links
If the paint is not adhering well, there might be paste or old distemper (if it is a very old house), Scrub the surface clean and use a flat metal scraper to remove anything that is not sound.

the crack might be returning because the ceiling is not sound (especially if it is an old house with lath and plaster ceilings, or if it is a joint in plasterboard). Also have a look in the loft to see if there is anything heavy stored above that is causing the cracking.

you could use a slightly flexible filler such as decorators caulk, this can be painted over. Rake out the crack with the point of a triangular scraper or similar so that you can force the filler into it with a metal filling knife, and press it smooth. Clean out all loose material and dust before filling. Ensure that the ceiling is thoroughly dry before painting, and that it dries out (window open) for a day before your next showrer.

Orrrr,, after prepping as John said, and you're sure the ceiling is sound, you could fill and tape over the crack. Cover the tapes over with a couple of coats of ready mix joint finish, sand it down when dry,, then paint over the whole ceiling with a quality paint. It also pays to have adequate ventilation in a bath/shower room.

Hmmm! Agree with everything thats been posted by RC and JD,here's another thought,your extractor fan,is it independant of the light switch?whats the humidity setting on it? does it go on forever after a shower? In my experience extractor fans can be a bit fickle, they need to "out" moisture laden air or especially on ceilings[above the shower] you will get condensation issues.Get it checked out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back