problems with painting a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya, en suite ceiling cracking - have had problems with this roof since moving is as its a damp/cold no sun light room, bottom corner of house (two outside walls)

the ceiling was flaking really bad when we moved in so mounted plastic above the shower, (been perfect since) apart from one part not in the shower i cant stop flaking - i rubbed it down and painted oil based undercoat as previously worked for me - i know i shouldnt have painted it in these cold temps at the moment - anyway waited for it to dry and its cracked i (air line cracks all over it) i keep rubbing it down filling it and painting it and there doesnt seem to be a way to hide the cracks (now not flaking) which is slightly better

any advise please...

Sponsored Links
Is the undercoat cracking or just the emulsion?

if the later, sand again and use oilbased eggshell.

more importantly increase airflow with an extractor.

If the oilbased undercoat was still drying (takes weeks to fully cure), that and the moisture from the shower could be the problem.

In future use zinsser bin, 3 day cure time. You could still apply bin over the area and leave for a couple of days

Sponsored Links
could be that the oil based paint was still drying. but that primer isnt cheap

cant i just apply some more oil based primer and wait this time?!

ther only hair line cracks spider cracks (not chipping or flaking)

waterbased eggshell would be cheaper. Provided the u/c is sound, just leave it for a week or two post sanding. Then paint over it. Whichever wb paint you use make sure it is not matt emulsion.

under the impression its the emulsion.

If as you say it is the emulsion of which is cracking then your problem lies beneath and not above, when you scrape back the paintwork in order to undertake a re-paint does the underlying substrate offer a white powdery appearance or indeed is it white and can't be removed.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back