Cellar converted to bedroom > MOULD IS EVERYWHERE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently converted our cellar into a bedroom with en suite. We live in an end terraced house and have tanked the outer walls.

We have a shower toilet and basin in the en suite and have an extractor fan installed.

It has been around 4 months since the cellar was converted and have noticed that the bathroom is getting mould growing on parts of the walls at the very bottom as well as on the underside of some units.

In the bedroom, small parts of the skirting board has mould growing on them as well as inside the wardrobes. We have noticed today that on the underside of our bed is completely covered in mould as well as the underside of the mattress.

Note: We have a fireplace which has been boarded over (with air holes) and is just used as a feature with no fire in. We also have double doors which open up to a staircase which takes you up to the street. the rest of the outside walls are below ground level.

The pictures shown are the underside of my bed which has the mould. The mould which is appearing is always easily brushed off however seems to grow back very easily.

Sponsored Links
It appears that there are no windows. I cannot see any pictures.

No mention is made of airbricks or other means of ventilation. What is the throughput (cubic metres per hour) of the extractor fan, and how many hours a day is it run?

How did you damp-proof the new floor, and the walls that you did not tank?

What did Building Control say about your plans when you had them approved?

Sponsored Links
Simple lack of ventilation, you will need a fan running 24/7 to keep basement ventilated and mold spores from settling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back