Celotex Alternatives? Without Mobile/Wifi sapping properties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I really need some advice. We're intending to vault the ceiling in a bedroom and do a loft conversion on our house. I've read and witnessed awful mobile and wifi issues in houses insulated with celotex. I work from home using a mobile and wifi so its critical both work for me. Does anyone know of an alternative material that doesn't have these issues that would be suitable and pass building regs?

We need to ensure its not too thick or we'll lose height, or too expensive! So they are other considerations

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Is there any actual evidence that this insulation does actually affect wifi and mobile signals?

Numerous articles, discussion online if you do a quick Google. So yes there is evidence.

Further my father in law has celotex in his loft/ceiling. They converted a bungalow to a house, and celotex was used. Before using it mobile reception was fine, after its patchy and impossible to hold a call. It improves if he hangs his head near a window. Not practical for me in the slightest.

That's odd. Our kids rooms have celotex in the floor, walls and roof, are at the opposite end of the house to the Wi-Fi and get an excellent signal for wireless and mobile.

You might find that 2.4 GHz units have problems with lots of things, which the 5 GHz units don't

Sponsored Links
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/network-wifi/3370997/homeplug-powerline-networking-adaptors-buying-advice/
Nooooooooooo, unless you are a selfish b'stard who really doesn't give a damn about being antisocial.
http://www.ban-plt.co.uk
http://rsgb.org/main/news/special-focus/pla-plt/
Be in no doubt that these things are not, and cannot be, legal under UK and EU regulations. They are only on sale because all the regulators supposedly involved have put a lot of effort into tossing the hot potato onto someone else's desk. In OfCon's case, it's clear they didn't want to upset BT would were busy handing out these things like sweets.

But back to the original question.
We had a customer at work, built a new business centre, all the walls lined with Celotex or similar - and absolutely naff all mobile signal indoors. We had big problems getting wireless coverage as the internal walls were similarly screened. Great outside, naff all inside. For good measure, the windows had tinted glass that has a metal coating for the tint - so the windows weren't much help.

The problem is the foil layer which effectively blocks anything but low frequency signals - ie everything that's useful ! The actual signal/coverage you get depends on the size and shape of the gaps/windows and the location of the other end of your (attempted) radio link. I suspect some of the gaps will act as slots and cause some interesting diffraction patterns with some signals.

Thank you for your reply Simon! I've only just seen it. Glad I'm not mad, as you've evidently seen the issues too.

We went ahead and used celotex in our bedroom ceiling vault, as I couldn't find an alternative and the building inspector was useless. We haven't moved into the property yet, so not yet installed our wifi. So far our mobile reception seems ok - but it has alot of routes out. That might not be the case once we convert the loft IF we use celotex. But we'd only know after completing it which seems too much of a risk to take given I need mobile & wifi to earn a living. Does anyone know of an alternative insulator that doesn't have foil backing and isn't too bulky? For the building inspector it all falls down to the U value they tell me (in theory!)

freddymercurystwin - I have a clear understanding of what they do and why they do it and how it it necessary. However I also expect to be given useful advice when trying to abide by their rules, whilst demonstrating that the products they recommend would harm my ability to earn a living. I am looking for a suitable alternative that meets their guidelines and solves my issues. However like you, they gave me no worthwhile advice :D

The pleasure was all mine. In the last two years I have lived in a very new house packed with foil backed Celotex (I saw it being fitted), I have also lived in a 100 year old house which has a bit of loft insulation and that is it. I know that the wired connection to each property is sound. Guess which house got great Wifi 3 storeys up in the loft room and which one gets poor Wifi in the room next to the one with the router in it? Forgive me if I dismiss you or SimonH2muppet as you have no actual evidence of it being an issue.

Forgive me if I dismiss you or SimonH2muppet as you have no actual evidence of it being an issue.

as per earlier thread or just a coincidence? lol
my father in law has celotex in his loft/ceiling. They converted a bungalow to a house, and celotex was used. Before using it mobile reception was fine, after its patchy and impossible to hold a call. It improves if he hangs his head near a window. Not practical for me in the slightest.

And I have first hand 'evidence' to the contrary.

:D I'm so pleased for you. That pleased, I'm tapping my fingers in time to Cliff Richards' 'Congratulations'... They should apply your positive outweighs all negatives logic to drug trials. Candidate A is cured....B is in a coma, C is dead. 'NICE, is that you? we have a successful new drug for you to license for the NHS'.

But seriously I came here looking for advice on an alternative insulator (if one exists) that building control could sign off on...... sigh

Anyone used spray on foam insulation in between rafters?

What about cellotex without the foil?

In my attics there are wifi signals from all the neighbours and I have 50mm foil lined kingspan in the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back