Cement around Drain corroded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20210312_144440[1].jpg
Any idea what i can do with this corroded cement drain grid?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Jeff543, good evening.

Have you considered that the drain is leaking, that will cause the ground below the slabs to sash out / become soft and the slabe will start to move downwards.

Looks as if the drain gully has staid put but the surroundings appear to have dropped a bit?

Ken.

Jeff543, good evening.

Have you considered that the drain is leaking, that will cause the ground below the slabs to sash out / become soft and the slabe will start to move downwards.

Looks as if the drain gully has staid put but the surroundings appear to have dropped a bit?

Ken.

Thanks Ken,

Do you mean that the water is overflowing? The drainpipe seems fine. I'm confused by what you mean as yeah it must be leaking out and not all going fully into the drain but only because the protective circling cement is broken/corroded. What I want to do is replace that covering to keep the water contained.

Cheers

OK, now it appears we are both confused?

I downloaded the original image in your post, so i could Zoom in and have a good look, fine so far?

The image posted now is a different image?

The image I down loaded is --

Attachments

• 20210312_144506[1].jpg
    20210312_144506[1].jpg
    853.9 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
OK, now it appears we are both confused?

I downloaded the original image in your post, so i could Zoom in and have a good look, fine so far?

The image posted now is a different image?

The image I down loaded is --

Oh that's good news, sorry the original image was another different problem I accidentally uploaded, irrelevant to this thread.

I've fitted hoppers, yes. Why are you not happy with the suggestion? Were you expecting some other advice?

I've fitted hoppers, yes. Why are you not happy with the suggestion? Were you expecting some other advice?

You understand that I wouldn't want to wreck the original grid then try to shove some hopper into a hole it wouldn't want to fit into?

The grid is fine, I just want to repair the broken cement.
It’s not cement, it’s the hopper. It’s a seperate part to the gully that sits on top to give a bigger catchment area and to hold the grid.

Take the metal grid out and you will see a joint a couple of inches down, remove everything from there upwards. It will either be 4 or 6inch and that size will decide your replacement. It could be mortared one or in a plastic collar.

It’s not cement, it’s the hopper. It’s a seperate part to the gully that sits on top to give a bigger catchment area and to hold the grid.

Take the metal grid out and you will see a joint a couple of inches down, remove everything from there upwards. It will either be 4 or 6inch and that size will decide your replacement. It could be mortared one or in a plastic collar.

When you say take the grid out, you mean it and the old hopper can just be easily lifted out or are they welded in or screwed in?

Thanks.

The grid is fine, I just want to repair the broken cement.
The Porcelain/Clay hopper is broken, you can't repair it, you need to buy and fit a new one - the new hopper will come with it's own steel grid, so unfortunately the old steel grid is now redundant, a sad waste but that is the way the world is.

Just a time line on what has possibly happened. The existing hopper has been broken (it has not corroded) since it was broken (which i guess was many years ago) some of the water destined for the drain is escaping down the outside of the hopper - this has caused it and the surrounding paving slabs to sink/subside a little.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back