Cement Board for Outside Use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Is there such a product as cement board used in UK? The Americans seem to have such a thing; and use it on outside projects prior to cladding. I am planning an 'outside kitchen' (posh BBQ area) and can't decide on the diy construction method. I could...

Do it in timber and board and clad with stone tiles
Blocks and stone outer skin
Blocks and render (wife not keen on this one).

Any advice on the cement board; and on the wider choices.

Thanks

CG

Sponsored Links
If I understand you want to use a cement board to then tile a bbq area.
I've used aquapanels to a kids shed roof tiled with leftover tiles which they then decorated. Still there after 10 years.
Just make sure you use exterior tile adhesive and grout.
Apologies if your project is not what i thought.

Sponsored Links
1D065996-EC2A-4572-A404-D75662D7EB2A.png

Look for a calcium silicate product (ed Supalux, Masterboard) but expensive.

Or a more common and cheaper magnesium oxide product ( ed Econic Board, Dragon Board) or lots of similar ones mainly from China.

As long as you started it before yesterday, assuming you want your nhbc warranty on your posh bbq area;)
http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/Prod...ical-updates/magnesium-oxide-building-boards/
Yes there was a problem in Holland (or one of the scandi countries) a few years ago, where these boards were starting to be affected by damp weather and began to fall off buildings!

I recall some research being done on whether it was a bad batch, poor installation/specification or an endemic problem, but I suppose NHBC have given an answer.

Back to my outside kitchen, could the framework be framed in timber and sheathed in osb; then clad in stone?

As is evident, I'm searching for the easiest diy structure that will take either stone cladding tiles, or actual stone external skin. Struggling to decide.

Back to my outside kitchen, could the framework be framed in timber and sheathed in osb; then clad in stone?

As is evident, I'm searching for the easiest diy structure that will take either stone cladding tiles, or actual stone external skin. Struggling to decide.
What did you use?

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back