cement per blocks ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any block layers on here know how to work out how many bags of cement ill need per 1000 block laid.

Sponsored Links
Not a pro brick/block layer but when I worked mine out it was something like this.

1KG of mortar per block

1000 blocks = 1000KG of mortar

Divide the KG of mortar between parts, so if you're doing a 1:6 mix of 1 cement to 6 sand you would divide by 7.

1000KG / 7 = 142.86KG

That means for 1 part cement you'd need 142.68 KGs of cement (142.68 / 25KG bags = 5.7)
This means you'd need 6 x 142.86KG sand = 857.16 (a tonne bag).

Not a pro brick/block layer but when I worked mine out it was something like this.

1KG of mortar per block

1000 blocks = 1000KG of mortar

Divide the KG of mortar between parts, so if you're doing a 1:6 mix of 1 cement to 6 sand you would divide by 7.

1000KG / 7 = 142.86KG

That means for 1 part cement you'd need 142.68 KGs of cement (142.68 / 25KG bags = 5.7)
This means you'd need 6 x 142.86KG sand = 857.16 (a tonne bag).

If i needed to lay 3000 blocks then its 3 ton of cement or 25 block per bag

No, you don't just use cement to lay blocks you need to make a mix called mortar.

Depending on the required strength it can be 1 part cement by volume to 3 parts sand by volume to 1 part cement to 9 parts sand.

If you are about to lay 3000 blocks and don't know this I would reconsider (as it sounds like you've never layed a block before). If you don't start off straight, plumb, correct gage and in the right place you'll never be able to correct it.

Sponsored Links
No, you don't just use cement to lay blocks you need to make a mix called mortar.

Depending on the required strength it can be 1 part cement by volume to 3 parts sand by volume to 1 part cement to 9 parts sand.

If you are about to lay 3000 blocks and don't know this I would reconsider (as it sounds like you've never layed a block before). If you don't start off straight, plumb, correct gage and in the right place you'll never be able to correct it.

LOL, i know how how blocks a laid and what the mix is. Ive worked in construction my whole life(from 14-15 yr old, now in mid 40s) Its just i have never calculated how much cement needed per 1000.

Im trying to work out a rough estimate for a garage ill be building in summertime while im off now because when i start back working, i wont have the time for pricing this up.

LOL, i know how how blocks a laid and what the mix is. Ive worked in construction my whole life(from 14-15 yr old, now in mid 40s) Its just i have never calculated how much cement needed per 1000.
Then you should have known you don't lay blocks with cement..... 3 tonne of cement is enough for an estate.
Honestly there is no harm in getting in a bricky and labouring for them. 3000 blocks will take them about 2 weeks to lay.

Then you should have known you don't lay blocks with cement..... 3 tonne of cement is enough for an estate.
Honestly there is no harm in getting in a bricky and labouring for them. 3000 blocks will take them about 2 weeks to lay.

I will not be laying the blocks for this. I do lay blocks for garden walls and small sheds but not for large garages and houses. Its an 8x8m garage but maybe making it bigger to 10 or 11mx8. Like i said, just trying to work out a rough estimate for all materials. If your saying 3 ton is enough for an estate, will i get away with a 1.5 ton of cement for this.

1.5 ton of cement for this

No, like tomfe said, you're interchanging mortar and cement; 1.5 ton of cement is way too much. Based on 3000 blocks you'll probably need about 15 - 20 bags but it will depend on the mix as tomfe said.

No, like tomfe said, you're interchanging mortar and cement; 1.5 ton of cement is way too much. Based on 3000 blocks you'll probably need about 15 - 20 bags but it will depend on the mix as tomfe said.

25 bags it is then, any left over will do for the plastering.

Thank you.

25 bags it is then, any left over will do for the plastering.

Depending on how fast you reckon these blocks will be laid i'd be tempted to under purchase. You can always buy more, no wastage and they won't go off.

25 bags it is then

15-18 more realistic if you're doing a 1:6 mix.

What mix are you doing? What blocks are you using? Your block manufacturer normally specifies best mix. A thermalite or celcon lightweight block is normally 1:6 mix, a concrete block is likely to be more cement, 1:4 or 1:5.

Depending on how fast you reckon these blocks will be laid i'd be tempted to under purchase. You can always buy more, no wastage and they won't go off.

15-18 more realistic if you're doing a 1:6 mix.

What mix are you doing? What blocks are you using? Your block manufacturer normally specifies best mix. A thermalite or celcon lightweight block is normally 1:6 mix, a concrete block is likely to be more cement, 1:4 or 1:5.

Itll be concrete 4inch blocks at a 3:1 or 4:1 mix. Have never used a 5:1 mix building, only in rendering.

Best to have them there for the block layers. Wouldnt want them running out. Going to get 10ton building sand is also. If dont use it all, im sure ill use it elsewhere.

Have never used a 5:1 mix building, only in rendering

Wow really! What do you generally build?

I'm using a 5:1 mix for face brickwork now, and 6:1 on my lightweight blocks. I used a 3:1 for below ground on the engineering bricks.

Wow really! What do you generally build?

I'm using a 5:1 mix for face brickwork now, and 6:1 on my lightweight blocks. I used a 3:1 for below ground on the engineering bricks.

I hear ya however weve always used 3:1 building here. Have also seen plasterers use 3:1 rendering but for me, thats to strong a mix. I prefer to use 4:1 scratch and 5:1 finish coat. Any walls i build, its a 3:1 and have never had 1 issue yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back