Cement render to dry before plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I've got tradesman wanting a day rate on a plastering job that involves a sand/cement render on a couple of 2 m sq areas of brickwork to be plastered on top (including the whole 20m sq wall). He's not too keen to quote for the job rather than day rate and reckons the render will be ready to plaster by the afternoon as the bricks are v dry. I'm a bit worried about

a) the finish cracking
b) tradesman deciding its a 2 day job because its not going off...

Any thoughts help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if it was me i would do the patches one day (couple of hours in the morning) and come back the next day to skim the whole wall and charge you for one days work, i dont think i would hang around to see if the render is dry enough to skim in the afternoon, also you dont want him skimming the render before the render has had time to dry out as this could cause problems as it dries out under the skim
"EDIT" it is sand and cement render hes using? if its a gypsum basecoat then yes do it the same day

It is a wall we dried out due to damp - reads 0 now - dry as a bone so should suck plenty of moisture out of the render - which plasterer reckons is best as sand cement due to the previous damp

It is a wall we dried out due to damp - reads 0 now - dry as a bone so should suck plenty of moisture out of the render - which plasterer reckons is best as sand cement due to the previous damp
you dont want it to suck that much, make sure he damps the wall down first you dont render on bone dry walls

Sponsored Links
Thanks steve - I should think he will - do you think he'll get away with same day skim? Or should I push for 2 seperate days?

My thoughts -

As steve said, it's not a good idea to skim sand and cement the same day , as crazing is likely. However, a suitable additive will allow you to do so - Remtox was one we used some years back .

It's also not good to do any plastering on to a solid bone dry background, as the plaster/render will dry rather than set, so wetting it down is needed.

Now, I'm not sure about the day rate/ price issue on this one

He is really giving you an estimate of two days. What other quotes have you had from tradesmen whose work you have seen?

If he has to make two visits, then he is entitled to look for two days money ie he could be elsewhere for two days making the same or better money.

It's up to you whether the job is worth that.

From a repeat business point of view he might be more sensible to say -

- Day One Knock up the render and float it - perhaps allow 2 hours by the time you set up, tidy up, etc. I can do this in an evening before hand, I'll try to see if i can do it after an early one on another job. (I can also prep the wall to skim while I'm there)

- Day Two - 20m2 of a wall to skim - 4 hours is plenty to allow setting up, tidying and so on.

The job to you is only 'worth' one day's money.
The job to him might 'cost' two day's money.

He will have to balance making what he can off one job at the risk of no recommendation, you have to balance how much you need the job done without the benefit of other quotes.

I would say - agree a price, if he says he needs two days, ask him if he can allow for the fact that it will be two half days. If he insists on day rate ,He should be able to tell you the max it will cost, and what conditions will make it min/max time. EG there is an upper limit , it won't take 3 days!

If he skims it the same day, tell him that you will hold 50% until you are sure it has not crazed and will pay him the following week.

Anyone who claims for a days work just because he has to spend a couple of hours at the site is a shark, phone someone else!!

It's a days wage, £150

Sorry add an extra £50 or so for London area, they seem to think they are worth more.....

Anyone who claims for a days work just because he has to spend a couple of hours at the site is a shark, phone someone else!!

It's a days wage, £150

Sorry add an extra £50 or so for London area, they seem to think they are worth more.....

I wish people would try and get at least 3 quotes , and check the work , before they agreed anything.

It's a free market out there - it should be used as such!!

Tell him you want a fixed price or look elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back