Cracked and broken external render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just moved into a new house,a semi detached and it needs work. Part of which is addressing the cracked and broken render around the base of the house . See image below. In some sections the brickwork is exposed. Obviously it needs repaired, but just how serious is this?How would you go about repairing it ? Im guessing its best to remove it all and start again. What plaster / render (not sure on the terms) would i use.

Im happy to give the job a go if its not too big a job and doesnt take days to do do, otherwise id get a tradesman in - Would a plasterer do this work ? Any youtube videos on this? (i dont know the exact wording so cant find anything)

Cheers folks
IMG_20170331_191516438.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170331_191535103.jpg
    IMG_20170331_191535103.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20170331_191550198.jpg
    IMG_20170331_191550198.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 348
Sponsored Links
Personally I'd knock all that render off... not the dashing.
Normally render shouldn't go to ground level, as it will soak up the water and possible breach the damp course.

I've similar dashing on my house it stops about 3 brick course from the ground.

Not to ground level ? really, my whole estate has this, probably around 1000 homes. Surely its better that the render gets the damp opposed to the brick work ?

OP,
Hack off all the render below the dash.
Rake out the pointing beds and perps to about 25mm deep.
Repoint.
You could then re-render leaving a gap of two courses (150mm) to ground level - render must not be in ground contact.

You should find the external DPC line and make sure that its not being bridged by render.
There is a flagstone in one of the pics that seems a bit high?
Are there any signs of damp on the interior?
The Pvc sill has not been extended properly and the end is gunked up with a wad of caulk which is allowing moisture to penetrate the render below - clean out and silicone re-seal.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, clearer now on what to do.

Any idea how much it would cost to get the work done ? approx. area is 5.75 square m.

is it possible that the dpc is below the render in the pics ? Apologies for my ignorance

You will have to rake out a little mortar in each bed to search for the DPC. But its very doubtful that its below the ground level. It might even be high just below the air bricks?

Do you have damp issues on the inside walls or floor?
Are the walls solid or cavity?
Are your interior floors all at the same level throughout the house?

Using the practices recommended above, you should remove and re-render all around the house not just on the section of wall shown in the pic.

Last edited:
You will have to rake out a little mortar in each bed to search for the DPC. But its very doubtful that its below the ground level. It might even be high just below the airbricks?

Do you have damp issues on the inside walls or floor?
Are the walls solid or cavity?
Are your interior floors all at the same level throughout the house?

As recommended above, you should remove and re-render all around the house not just on the section of wall shown in the pic.

Hello. There is no damp on the inside walls or floor, not that I've noticed anyway. Yes, interior floors are all on the same level. I'm already looking into starting the removal of cracking render and re pointing.

Any idea how much it would cost to get someone in? 5.75 sq meters

Not that I'm doubting your advice re not rendering below the dpc, but I've wandered around my estate and tons of homes have been rendered to ground. Why? I've checked with my neighbour who also have render to the ground, they have never had damp issues and have been there for near 40 years.

You can see why this newbie is confused....

For a start, simply look at - the state of your lower rendering - the previous remedial attempt to repoint (which is nothing but a shallow smear) - and the cracked brick(s?).

Typically - Capillary action takes place when render is in ground contact.

For a start, simply look at - the state of your lower rendering - the previous remedial attempt to repoint (which is nothing but a shallow smear) - and the cracked brick(s?).

Typically - Capillary action takes place when render is in ground contact.

Doesn't really answer my question,im aware of the state of it, hence my queries, but thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back