Centra heating fault finding need help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a closed system boiler install, with 2 2 port motorised valves being controlled by HIVE.

Recently, the boiler doesn’t fire up when the central heating shedul is due on, I have changed the batteries in the stat, rebooted everything that can be rebooted, checked the where’d connections. If I turn off the power to the Hive receiver and back on again it kicks in. Sometimes when I press the boost or manual button it kicks in.
I have been told this could be a fault with the motorised valve, due to the micro switch in it sending a signal to activate the pump and boiler once open. The valve is clunky it doesn’t feel like the valve turns the motor or potentially opens the valve.
before I go pulling the valve apart, or purchasing a new one, I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

thankyou for your help

Sponsored Links
have you 240 v o the brown wire to the valve when the heating is on ? That should power the valve open and then put 240 v onto the orange to fire the boiler

have you 240 v o the brown wire to the valve when the heating is on ? That should power the valve open and then put 240 v onto the orange to fire the boiler
Thankyou, i will try that this morning, am i right in thinking that when the valve closed, i should be able to use the lever to open the valve/move the motor slowly and then lock it in position. ?? At the minute it just feels clunky

That will open the valve but won’t make the electric contact,so it would work if hot water is also calling for heat
some valves can have the syncron motor replaced inside. What valve make have you got.

Sponsored Links
That will open the valve but won’t make the electric contact,so it would work if hot water is also calling for heat
some valves can have the syncron motor replaced inside. What valve make have you got.
I have 2 Honeywell valves, CH one is older thank the HW one

I have 2 Honeywell valves, CH one is older thank the HW one

I have Honeywell valves too.

I had the same problem with mine. Power the system off, power it up and it worked okay in my case. A few weeks ago though it was getting worse so I fitted a new electrical head on my heating 2 port valve and that’s cured the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back