Central Heating and Hot Water Issues After Removing Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm having a bit of a mere with my central heating and hot water at the moment and was hoping for some advice on what and how to check the basics with what could be wrong prior to calling out a plumber. Rest assured, I have no issue calling out a plumber to complete any work, I just would like to make sure that I'm not being stupid prior to making the call!

To start, a good few months ago, the hot water all of a sudden started to run luke warm. I assumed that the water temperature needed turning up, did this and all was well (temperature resumed to a normal level and no issues).

I recently undertook a new project in a bedroom which is now nearing completion. I had a slight issue when trying to remove the radiator off the wall when I accidentally damaged the value which is still in need of replacement (it's the old size one as well so I assume the part of the pipe is going to need to be replaced for the olive to be changed?!). The radiator is drained and isolated using the valve on the other side of it that is not damaged.

Next issue is that the stop cock is jammed tight open (another story another day!)

So to the HW & CH... The CH has been off for a while (4 months ish) and I tried turning it on yesterday to give it a run prior to the winter months. The CH did not work as well as expected - the radiators got mildly warm and that was it. What's worse is since trying the CH, the HW has stopped working in that no hot water is running through the taps at all.

So my questions:

- Can you still get the old size valves to prevent me needing to drain down the system?
- Is there any miracle cure t the jammed stop cock (I've tried the old WD40 over a number of session to no avail)?
- Is the currently isolated radiator going to be the issue with the CH and HW is is there something else I need to be checking?

Thanks in advance
Gareth

Sponsored Links
Slight update, so my hot water has turned on along with the central heating at the same time. Slightly concerned though as the thermostat for the heating is at its lowest setting and therefore should not have come on?!

Had something similar after draining/filling a combi system, anyways after refill/bleed system was turned on rads got luke warm. Basically what had happened was the pump impeller melted due to air which was caused by a dodgy auto air vent valve.

Sponsored Links
Oops sorry, just realised you said its not a combi system.

I would suggest drain down the whole system and replace
the radiator valve at the same time.
It should be a standard fitting. You will be able to use the nut and olive from the old valve. A turn or two of ptfe if it drips.
For the stop valve if you loosen the top nut a the end of the spindle.
You should be able to start working it back and forward a bit.
Might need a spanner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back