towel radiators connected to hot water not central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just noticed that when my CH is off and with HW on, all my radiators are cold but the towel rails are hot, I suspect the towel radiators are connected to the hot water instead of CH. Is this normal? my builder said he connected my towel radiators to the pipes where the old radiator was connected to, could be it the old system was piped this way?

Sponsored Links
Its been done that way so you can warm your towels all year,some think its a good idea some think its an installation defect.

My one used to do that when we had gravity hot water. Is that what you have?

Is this normal? ... could be it the old system was piped this way?
yes on both counts, if you have a hot water cylinder. But many are not done that way.

I have a TRV on my bathroom rad so it does not overheat the bathroom, especially in summer.

It means the rad or rail is hot during and after a bath, which is the ideal time.

Sponsored Links
thanks a lot for the quick responses, it actually makes sense to do it this way. But is the hot water of the bath/shower actually route from the radiator? Feels like the water washes the radiator first then us?

Yes I have the old gravity system, which I am going to change to unvented cylinder in a few ways time.

I assume the towel radiators can stay this way? If so, is it still worth to install the electric elements? I bought two but haven't installed them yet.

But is the hot water of the bath/shower actually route from the radiator

It is possible, rare though. What is the towel rail made from? Copper? Brass? Stainless steel?

If regular steel then you could be in for some fun in the future if it is the domestic water running through it.

...Yes I have the old gravity system, which I am going to change to unvented cylinder in a few ways time.....

I'm no heating engineer and I'm sure I'll be corrected but I don't think that converting to an unvented cylinder will stop this. You'll surely need to do a bit of pipework too. When you say 'old gravity system', do you mean 'conventional' system i.e fully pumped with a cold water storage tank and header tank? Or do you just have pumped heating and unpumped hot water?

It is possible, rare though. What is the towel rail made from? Copper? Brass? Stainless steel?

If regular steel then you could be in for some fun in the future if it is the domestic water running through it.

It's Quinn radiator, I think it is steel.

I guess I can test that, if I shut off the radiator valve and still get hot water from the tap, then it's two loops?

I'm no heating engineer and I'm sure I'll be corrected but I don't think that converting to an unvented cylinder will stop this. You'll surely need to do a bit of pipework too. When you say 'old gravity system', do you mean 'conventional' system i.e fully pumped with a cold water storage tank and header tank? Or do you just have pumped heating and unpumped hot water?

I am unfamiliar with the system but I had a look in the loft, I think I have mains water pipe feeding a large cold water tank, and there's a small tank beside it. The cylinder is in the airing cupboard and there's a pump pumping the heating, the hot water is not pumped.

A photo or two showing the the cylinder pipework arrangement,the pump would show us what type of system you have.

Some people prefer the electric element for towel warming as it does not heat up the bathroom during summer months and they keep a constant temperature.

Sounds like you want to upgrade your cylinder to unvented,always a good idea for increased water flow rates,these need good planning to ensure it will work but well worth the effort.

Good luck with your project.

My system is the "old fashioned" boiler and hot water cylinder

The hot water is heated by a closed circuit of water from the boiler to the coils in the cylinder which indirectly heats the actual bathing water. Imho it simply passes through the towel radiator (or on a loop) so that you can have warm towels with hot water but no ch on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back