No hot water after draining towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I drained my towel radiator without turning the water or boiler off.

Have I drained the whole system? We have cold water but no hot water.

Please help! I have connected towel radiator back up, and turned central heating on but still not getting any hot water.

How do I get hot water back in the system?

Please see pic for my boiler

thanks

Sponsored Links
Your System Pressure appears to be 0. It should be 1.0 bar on the pressure gauge.

Does your system have a filling loop or is there a white plastic key that you need to use to add water to the system?

When you drained the towel rail did you shut the valves first and isolate it and where exactly did you drain from?

I looked at the photo again and see you have a white key. That needs to be in its hole and turned to lock it in place. Then a square tap just to one side of it needs turning to add more water to the heating system.

As you add water check for leaks at the towel rail.

Cheers Dave. Where do I add the water? Am new to this. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your System Pressure appears to be 0. It should be 1.0 bar on the pressure gauge.

Does your system have a filling loop or is there a white plastic key that you need to use to add water to the system?

When you drained the towel rail did you shut the valves first and isolate it and where exactly did you drain from?

I drained it from the gold part, bottom right in the pic below.

I've managed to refill the water in the boiler. I turned central heating on and both the hot water light and central heating light showed up red on the boiler.

I turned off the central heating on the control panel and both lights went out on the boiler.

My question is, how do I heat up the water in the boiler without having central heating on?

Thanks

What does the black needle on the pressure gauge read now? Do the red lights normally come on?

If you heat up the water in your boiler without having the heating on your boiler will blow up . . .

What IS and ISNT happening now?

Fill it up then turn the gas off at the meter, your boiler will keep locking out, but reset it a few times, this will get the air out of the boiler before it boils as chances are it will airlock (auto air vent will probably be scaled up). Once it circulates without the gurgling then turn the gas back on.

Fill it up then turn the gas off at the meter, your boiler will keep locking out, but reset it a few times, this will get the air out of the boiler before it boils as chances are it will airlock (auto air vent will probably be scaled up). Once it circulates without the gurgling then turn the gas back on.

I need to remove the towel rail as I need to put up some drywall up, to tile over. I will then connect the towel rad back on. Is there a way to disconnect the towel rail but still have the heating / hot water on, as it will be a week or so until tiles are up.

How do I reset the boiler? Sorry it's probably an obvious answer but not familiar with heating etc. the pic of my boiler is below:

Thanks

What does the black needle on the pressure gauge read now? Do the red lights normally come on?

If you heat up the water in your boiler without having the heating on your boiler will blow up . . .

What IS and ISNT happening now?

The pressure gauge is reading just over 1.

The hot water is working
The central heating works when turned on

All I need to do is figure out how to remove the radiator without water going everywhere, but still being able to have heating and hot water. Is there a way to drain JUST the towel radiator, not the whole system (boiler).

Cheers

turn off each valve at the bottom of the towel rail
undo/loosen the nut above the valve with something under the valve to collect water
do this for both valves, undo nuts fully and remove towel rail
when you put it back ,connect towel rail open valves, bleed towel rail. top up boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back