Heating and Hot water not coming on after changing radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I recently moved into a new build. The heating system seems to be:

Boiler: Icos HE12 Ideal
Water tank: Tribune HE

Yesterday I switched the radiator in the bahtroom for a heated towel rail. To do this I switched the heating/hot water to off at the control unit ( I didn't switch off any supply taps), then drained the radiator. I then switched the plumbing, and turned the hot water back on.

Since then nothing seems to come on (hot water or heating). When I switch it on I can hear the pump running and the boiler status goes from '0' to 'c', and the blue burner light flashes on an off.

The thermostat is turned up and there is no hot water so it should be heating up.

I opened the drainage valve on the new towel rail expecting to drain the air form the system but nothing seems to be coming out.

Do I need to reset anything or restore the pressure in the system somehow?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
HI

sorry question not very clear.did you drain full system?have you tried bleeding all rads and all highest points(where necessary)?

I drained the pipes as well as the radiator when I removed it. I haven't tried bleeding the other radiators. From what I can tell the bathroom radiator is on a different system - for it to come on I just have to have the hot water on even without the central heating.

Do I need to restore the pressure in the system somehow? I see a small red tank in the airing cupboard with a pressure gauge on top which reads 0 - I assume this should not be giving a pressure of 0?

Sponsored Links
HI

thats better.you need to pressurerise the system/fill water in the system.there should be filling loop somewhere usually silver flexible pipe with black plastic lever.while filling the pipes also have to bleed the radiators.the gauge has to be between 1-1.5 bar. :D

Brilliant. That's restored the pressure and it's now reading 1.5 bar. I've bled the system and there's definitely water in it now.

For some reason nothing's getting hot now though. After switching the heating/hot water on the boiler lights up, but then seems to go into standby as if the water's already hot enough. It displays the 'c' and the burner light flashes which seems to mean the water's up to temperature so the burner's switched off. Any further suggestions?

All thermostats are turned up full

Ok cracked it - just before I was about to call the plumber through desperation.

The boiler was shutting off because there was air in the system (I could tell that when I switched the boiler on it fired up, gurgled for a bit and then stopped heating). Above the red tank there was a release valve which you twist to release the air. I had already bled the radiator but I guess that's not the highest point in the system.

Thanks LUNAT for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back