Central Heating Boiler does not stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our central heating system run continuously defeating the timer program.
We have replaced the timer and still the Gas continues and the burner ignites. The only way we can get the boiler to stop is by turning it off.

Could it be a Gas valve in the boiler which is malfunctioning??

Sponsored Links
Excuse the tetchiness, but how the Flying F*** are we supposed to help you with your boiler /system if you don't tell us what it IS!

Merry Christmas, very helpful!!!

I would have put the type and model on the original posting, but the boiler was in another location.

The boiler is made by a company called Stelrad, it appears to be model Ideal CF 460. Looks quite old.

Interesting thing is the boiler wouldn't ignite originally and now won't stop.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Excuse the tetchiness, but how the Flying F*** are we supposed to help you with your boiler /system if you don't tell us what it IS!

although "strong" i have to agree.

but i have the answer, :confused: most new posters think that we all have a crsytal ball, so in the case of plumbers / heating engineers, not only do you know what system they have, you also know what is wrong with it.

perhaps we could ask the owners of the forum to put up a "message" along the lines of "if you have a query please give as much information as possible"

what do you all think?

Gas valves rarely stick open, I think. If the programmer/timer is external, disconnect it or take it off the wall. If the boiler stops then it's not the boiler. If the programmer /timer's internal you'll have to get jiggy with a voltmeter. Could be a motorised valve but we don't know if you have any. Find it/them and try a whack with a screwdriver handle. Some of them stick open where they're suppose to spring closed. On most types you feel a spring resisting movement of the lever on the end when they're supposed to be off.

Breezer how do we contact HQ - or each other , come to that? Tried your website - yes very funny.....

ChrisR said:
Breezer how do we contact HQ - or each other , come to that? Tried your website - yes very funny.....

"HQ" is [email protected] (click it and it will open your email client)

"each other" is via email address in profile (which most of us leave blank) i removed mine because of too many private emails, asking how do you ..... (genuine enquires from here, but they wanted personal replies)

"my website", thanks (if any one is interested you can see it in my profile)

forum rule please see here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back