Central Heating Boiler No Longer Work During Servicing

Sponsored Links
I think the most likely is Pilot failure wasn't shutting the gas off.

Why else would he isolate the boiler and stick a red warning label on it

Well said ! As I have stated, he said the safety was not shutting down when the pilot is off. So does this mean its the gas valve that is faulty ?

Sponsored Links

Well said ! As I have stated, he said the safety was not shutting down when the pilot is off. So does this mean its the gas valve that is faulty ?

Yoyr posts are a little confusing. You did mention the SCO not working, but I didnlt really spot that, and saw instead:

) and most importantly, is the fault - that it could not be fired up - due to the faulty gas valve or could it be something else - electric, etc as it seems the gas engineer did not even checked this before concluding its a faulty gas valve.

If the RGI is part of a widely advertised company, why do you not phone THEIR number, as opposed to the RGI's personal ones? Or is this a homer? [/i]

If you have used him for years and you have good relations then trust him, you seem to be a bit keen possibly to fix yourself?

Yoyr posts are a little confusing. You did mention the SCO not working, but I didnlt really spot that, and saw instead:

) and most importantly, is the fault - that it could not be fired up - due to the faulty gas valve or could it be something else - electric, etc as it seems the gas engineer did not even checked this before concluding its a faulty gas valve.

If the RGI is part of a widely advertised company, why do you not phone THEIR number, as opposed to the RGI's personal ones? Or is this a homer? [/i]

SCO = pilot light ? That is different from firing up = to give heat to the radiator. Taht's what I mean when I said fire up.

I did phone both his personal mobile and landline (office) number

If you have used him for years and you have good relations then trust him, you seem to be a bit keen possibly to fix yourself?

Well...people change and no, no way will i have the confidence to tackle anything to do with gas. All i wanted to know is if it's the gas valve as there is a special offer on now that I can buy it at quite a big discount and i should get it if its the gas valve. I only wondered why he did not test other parts before coming to this conclusion. This is the first time he is servicing this boiler. Before that, he only service my hot water boiler.

I am starting to sympathise with the engineer.

From the description you have given there was not much point testing anything else - the gas valve is faulty.

Further.... why should an engineer fit a part supplied by a customer. Especially one as critical as the Gas Valve.

We certainly wouldn't.

It would if it was the green push button gas valve sticking half way out as they so often do on these pilot on but magneto not charged

it's not Green, its Orange. Does this make a difference ?

Not that one. THe square one... will be green no?

YOU NEED A NEW GAS VALVE!

The big square one is Orange. You can push it inwards, and also sideways to the right. This is the one that is part of the gas valve. but its not Green.

Fair enough - the igniter button could also have been orange. Not seen an orange starter button for a looooooooong time.

Doesn't change anything else though.

I am starting to sympathise with the engineer.

From the description you have given there was not much point testing anything else - the gas valve is faulty.

Further.... why should an engineer fit a part supplied by a customer. Especially one as critical as the Gas Valve.

We certainly wouldn't.

That is all I wanted to know. Why is there a need to sympathies anyone, given that others here were saying as I thought - that some other tests need to be carried out. It strike me as a bit strange that no other tests were made to come to this conclusion which made me wondered if the correct faulty part is identified. Thus my post here for second opinion.

I was told I would not be able to buy the part myself. But I did said I will find out if other stock it. And there are some online companies that do supply to customer and not to engineers only.

sigh !!! these days, can't even ask any questions and not be judged !!

Fair enough - the igniter button could also have been orange. Not seen an orange starter button for a looooooooong time.

Doesn't change anything else though.

Thanks. When I moved into this house, it was 26 years ago and already this boiler was there. So maybe the reaallllly older ones have orange button.

these days, can't even ask any questions and not be judged !!

Returning to your original 3 questions, I'd answer as follows.

1) It's possible the engineer is either missing something or has caused the fault. Then again he may not, how can anyone tell from behind a PC screen?

2) Only you can answer whether or not to get someone else involved. If 1st chap won't reply you've little option.

3) How do expect anyone to diagnose without a visit? Contrary to what some people believe, we don't just go round resetting on/off switches for a living and there is actually a skill to what we do. Diagnosing remotely requires a competent person at both ends of the communication.

The only area I'll judge you on is the bit where you say you can't afford etc etc. At over 60, you should be wise enough to expect the unexpected. Failing to plan your life's finances accordingly means having to be prepared to go without.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back