central heating boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Baxi Combi boiler which runs hot water and eleven rads. Lately the upstairs radiators were cool at the top so today we have bled these. Now we have looked at the dials on the boiler and the pressure has dropped to nil virtually. Is this OK? We belatedly realised that we bled the rad without turning off the system, could this have caused a problem?If not, what can we do?

Sponsored Links
You need to top the pressure back up to about 1 to 1.5 bar when the system is cold. There wil be a filling loop fitted somewhere (prberbly under neath you boiler)

There is a topic on this somewhere in one of the top 4 posts........that will give you an idea of how to do it.

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure I can recognise the filling loop is it the corrugated silver flex that bends round underneath the boiler with something like a winged nut at each end.? What do I do with it? If I need to adjust one of these winged nuts - which one and how far do I turn it?

There should be two black valves on the filling loop. If you turn both valves so they run in line with the pipe this will fill your system. To stop filling simply turn back so both are lying accross the pipe.

Try to be gentle as you turn it on as it is mains pressure you are putting into the system so just let it in slowly and smothly. Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Full details on filling loops are given in the sticky reference topic at the top of the topics lists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back