Central Heating Book

C

cb9002

Can anyone recommend a book to help with the theory and practicalities of designing and installing a central heating system? Collins, Readers' Digest aren't exactly the ticket!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What do you want to achieve from reading such a book?

Tony

I'm planning central heating for my house, and hoping to do most of the work (except boiler comissioning and gas) by myself.

I made quite a long post a couple of days ago describing my proposed layout but got no responses, so will try a reference book. I just want to make sure that everything is done to good practice. For example, should I run the towel rail without a TRV, even though the system boiler will have a bypass. Do I need air bleed valves in addition to those in the rads? With a total heating load of 10KW, should I go for a 12/15/18KW boiler?

After work today I went to the local tech. college and had a look through their library, which covered most of it. The best book I found was the CORGI "Wet Central Heating Design Guide", which was simple to understand and still covered all the theory, although less of the practical stuff.

Sponsored Links
Installing a good central heating system is about experience; not theory in my opinion.... Like most other trades it's something you pick up upon and it's the hundreds of small things that make a good system.

I agree the CORGI guides are very well written and practical covering the legal aspects... Keep in mind the building regs as well when it comes to the notching of joists and supporting of pipework/electrical separation distances etc...

In your two smaller questions; go with the 12kW, although most appliances are range rated; so can be stepped down to your systems requirements during their commissioning stage of installation.

Stay clear of TRVs in bathrooms - All the do is stick after their first couple of years of service; plus; it's always nice to guarantee a warm towel and that the stat hasn't shut down because of the excessive heat in the bathroom.

Air bleed valves should be placed on any "high-spots" of pipework; they should not really be necessary on most systems that are fitted extremely well; but it does greatly depend on the type of system too. With "traditional systems" you will normally need a bleed point on the cylinder; but with combi's you should be able to get away with it altogether depending on where the appliance is situated in relation to the property.

Error 500 (Internal Server Error) 'www.uk.diy.org' could not be found.

Whats wrong there Geoff ?

The public libraries have quite a good selection of DIY books on CH, some quite good.

Its really quite simple to install CH but does need a little research and help from a professional with boiler sizing and siting.

The only mistake I often see is that people doing it themselves choose the cheapest quality fittings. Why choose an unbranded shed TRV for £4.99 when you can have a top of the range Drayton for £16 ?

Tony

" Why choose an unbranded shed TRV for £4.99 when you can have a top of the range Drayton for £16 ? "

Odd really..I keep having to relace draytons where the plastic base of the TRV head has fatigued and broken off..so i think they are very expensive for what they are. I'd go Danfoss or Honeywell..better and a lot less costly.

It just goes to show, we all have differeing experience and perceptions of products.

Alfredo

most colleges swear by heinmenn plumbing level 2 or 3 or r.d treloar

For a DIYer I would suggest a more DIY based book and there are several available in most libraries which are often quite good.

You should engage a good boiler engineer to give advice on boiler choice and siting.

Tony

but the books i sugested, are meant for people learning the trade which from what i see are like DIYers, and give a good incite of how plumbing science works, and not just how to throw a heating system together. otherwise read the boiler MIs instead.

Exactly Holty!

Those are specially designed as mainly theory on the assumption the student is learning the practical in the workplace. Just what the plumbing student needs!

The DIY books concentrate on just what a DIYer needs to know specifically to fit his own heating and include only the practical theory like calculating rad sizes and give quite detailed information on the practical side like how to make pipe joints.

I do have to say that some that I have seen are excellent for the specific purpose of a DIYer fitting his own heating system.

Tony

ok agile i agree ,it's ok just to slap in a heating system hope it works as the diy book would sugests, or use a proper book that teaches students from the offset that have as little as knowledge as the average DIYer, so hence the op will be able to understand the heating system better because these books go into great detail but explain well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back