Central heating - bubbling noise from loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had rad valves fitted kettling occurred and plumber loaded chemical twice. Kettling has now ceased but instead every so often there is a bubbling noise coming from the tank in the loft - is this something I should be worried about thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean trvs??

Make sure there is sufficient flow through the boiler!!

Sorry don't know what trvs is/are!

How do I know whether there is enough water going through the boiler?

Trv's are the rad valves with big plastic heads that have numbers on them. (sorry, don't mean to make you sound silly with that statement)

If you have had these fitted to all rads, you should have probably had an auto bypass fitted in the system as well. (don't ask :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
Yep big white plastic things with numbers on. Plumber made no mention of bypass but he did forget to turn water back on so I wasn't getting any hot water in the immersion. Sorry if all this sounds stupid but would that make any difference. I'm not sure if I've turned it on enough although the water is OK now but I soppose that wouldn't affect the heating anyway.

Would the fact that I haven't got all the rads on make any difference - trying to save costs!!

Many thanks.

Does the bubbling stop instantly if you turn the heating off?

Has he remembered to turn the cold feed back on to the heating system? (usually a 15mm gate valve with a red 2" approx wheel on top)

Yes goes off instantly within a couple of seconds or so.

All I know is it was a red wheel that he hadn't turned back on. When I phoned him about no hot water he remembered that he hasn't turned it on and told me to give it a quarter turn. I ignored that and turned it a whole revolution - is that the problem? or is the problem that it's not turned on enough? Should explain that it's a very old Baxi back boiler if that helps at all.

Many thanks for all your help - much appreciated!!

If it is the cold feed to the heating system it should be turned on full.

it would be useful to go up into the loft with a torch when the bubbling noise is happening, and have a look at the Feed & Expansion tank - see if there is any water running , or bubbles you can see, and where from.

Also note how deep the water is and if there is mud at the bottom of the tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back